City driving trans temp

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
City driving trans temp

I dont like how hot the trans gets when in town. This is the first summer I have had my trans guage and it can get up to 210 just city driving.... Should you knock it out of OD while city driving???

I have the external cooler, I was thinking about a fan on that thing....

Old 07-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 2001 Supercrew - 5.4 and the highest I seen since installing the ScangaugeII (in April) is 170 degrees in the city. It hasn't been that hot here yet - nor have I pulled any sizable grades yet. But, I would fussing about 210 degree reading.

The location of the sensor can make a difference in the reading. From what I understand, the scanguageII get's it's reading from the valve body - not sure if that is the hottest place in the fluid cycle or not?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
not sure if that is the hottest place in the fluid cycle or not?
No, that would not be the hottest the fluid is getting, but it's the temp of what the fluid is starting at before it gets to the torque converter.

The trans output line to the rad cooler would be the 'hottest' the fluid itself has gotten AFTER it's done it's thing in the trans.

That's where I get my trans temp from with my aftermarket gauges.

I can't remember if Camaro has aftermarket gauges or not?

He does have oversize tires (33") and 3.55 gears and I don't know if he's re calibrated his speedo/odo yet with a new VSS gear (97-98's use gears for it. 99 and up use the comp)

If he's seeing 210 on the output side, that's not so bad, as long as it cools down when he gets some air flowing again. It should run around 180*-195* constant in the heat of the day going down the hwy. (well, that's what mine does towing or not)

I've seen 210* in stop and go, but once you get moving, it comes down again.

If you do a lot of city driving, then a fan might not be a bad idea....

I wonder if he has electric fans too? Even at idle with my mechanical fan, I get a good amount of air draw thru the grill and that includes the area where my factory aux trans cooler is located...

Mitch

Old 07-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
hes still on stock mechanical fan

Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes stock fan.... I have B&M trans temp gauge... I have my sender unit on the HOTTEST flow of fluid, right before the radiator... so I know its right out of the converter... I just hate seeing it so high.

Also, tomorrow I should be getting to my VSS gear... I have to pull mine first to see ho wmnay teeth, than shop around for the right one

Quick Reply: City driving trans temp