Reverse Gone

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse Gone

Pulled up to a parking spot, stopped, and put the truck into reverse. Heard this loud boom and then, no reverse. What would be the best way to fix this? Full tranny swap, or a rebuild?

Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
That depends on what you need and who you have do it. If you plan to keep the truck for the long haul and can find someone with enough talent, skill and knowledge then a rebuild is probably the besdt way to go. If you plan to get rid of the truck soon and are only looking to put the minimum into it then replace it with a used one.

You can't get a new transmission for these. The only way to do that is in a new truck. Ford doesn't offer them.

Darrin

Old 05-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
That depends on what you need and who you have do it. If you plan to keep the truck for the long haul and can find someone with enough talent, skill and knowledge then a rebuild is probably the besdt way to go. If you plan to get rid of the truck soon and are only looking to put the minimum into it then replace it with a used one.

You can't get a new transmission for these. The only way to do that is in a new truck. Ford doesn't offer them.

Darrin
Just an FYI you can get new transmissions for these trucks. Mine is on it third. My first one went out just out of warranty so i got a new ford one with a 3yr/36k miles warranty on it. The next two that went out within 1000 miles of being replaced were both under warranty.

If you are out of warranty which is my guess since it sounds like you are paying for it and if you plan on keeping the truck i would go that route since it comes with a new warranty. However, it wasn't cheap i believe it was around 2500 installed.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zachespo
Just an FYI you can get new transmissions for these trucks. Mine is on it third. My first one went out just out of warranty so i got a new ford one with a 3yr/36k miles warranty on it. The next two that went out within 1000 miles of being replaced were both under warranty.

If you are out of warranty which is my guess since it sounds like you are paying for it and if you plan on keeping the truck i would go that route since it comes with a new warranty. However, it wasn't cheap i believe it was around 2500 installed.
I am sorry to tell you that you were misinformed. The only new transmission for a vehicle available from Ford is in a new vehicle. If you look at either the part number or on the transmission itself you will find that it is followed up by an 'R', which stands for Remanufactured. The only way to get a new Ford transmission that doesn't come in a new vehicle is from an overstock program. Those are not offered to end users or through Ford dealers and come with no warranty.

Here is more info on the Ford remanufactured transmissions.
http://www.fordpowerproducts.com/products.do?item=20

Also another FYI, your experience with multiple failures using this source is VERY common.

I am not trying to be any kind of jerk or anythimg, it's just that these are the facts. If you truly research it you will find out that this is correct.

Take care
Darrin

Old 05-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
I am sorry to tell you that you were misinformed. The only new transmission for a vehicle available from Ford is in a new vehicle. If you look at either the part number or on the transmission itself you will find that it is followed up by an 'R', which stands for Remanufactured. The only way to get a new Ford transmission that doesn't come in a new vehicle is from an overstock program. Those are not offered to end users or through Ford dealers and come with no warranty.

Here is more info on the Ford remanufactured transmissions.
http://www.fordpowerproducts.com/products.do?item=20

Also another FYI, your experience with multiple failures using this source is VERY common.

I am not trying to be any kind of jerk or anythimg, it's just that these are the facts. If you truly research it you will find out that this is correct.

Take care
Darrin
Interesting i just thought that is was a brand new one guess i should have done more research about it. Thanks for the info. Just hope this one last longer.

Quick Reply: Reverse Gone