Stripped!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripped!!!!!

Seems like i have had some super bad luck lately mechanical wise. My slave cylinder in my 89' f150 shortie regular cab decided to take a dump on me so i decided to pull the motor out and replace it. Well when i went to put the new slave cylinder on the bolt holes to hold the slave cylinder on were stripped! you can thread them all the way in but if you put any stress at all such as barely pulling on the cylinder the bolts will pull right out of the hole! can these holes be tapped? if not does anybody have any ideas on what else i could do to solve this problem? im about to just drop the whole manual transmission and throw in a c4 and stick a hurst shifter threw the floor.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Titanium
Seems like i have had some super bad luck lately mechanical wise. My slave cylinder in my 89' f150 shortie regular cab decided to take a dump on me so i decided to pull the motor out and replace it. Well when i went to put the new slave cylinder on the bolt holes to hold the slave cylinder on were stripped! you can thread them all the way in but if you put any stress at all such as barely pulling on the cylinder the bolts will pull right out of the hole! can these holes be tapped? if not does anybody have any ideas on what else i could do to solve this problem? im about to just drop the whole manual transmission and throw in a c4 and stick a hurst shifter threw the floor.
You should be able to tap them and use a larger diameter bolt or get a helicoil kit and use the same bolts.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drill them and put a heli-coil kit in it

Old 01-09-2009, 06:44 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Internal slave, helicoil or insert only. Larger bolts will require enlarging the holes in the plastic slave. You risk destroying a slave cylinder as the bolt holes are bushed with metal so to enlarge the holes you have to remove the bushing and enlarge the hole then find a larger bushing.

External slave, drilling and tapping for a larger bolt may work if there is enough meat on the slave to enlarge the mounting bolt holes.

Last edited by JMC; 01-09-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Stripped!!!!!