Should i flush the transmission???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i flush the transmission???

Ok so i just bought a 1997 SC F150 Off Road with a 5.4 auto. It has 102,000 miles on it and runs and shifts like new. The previous one owner never had a single problem with it so it was never touched. The transmission has never been flushed so i was wondering if i should have that done, cause i hear also not to do it if its working good. If i should not flush it should i just drop the pan and change the filter and drain all the fluid out of the pan? How do i get it otta the tourque converter. Thanks for your help, i just want to maintain the drivetrain so it can run another 100,000 for me trouble free hopefully.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi,

Congrats on your new truck! Imho, yes, definitely change your trans fluid. If you're looking for another 100,000 miles from it, you sure don't want to try that on the original fluid! : )

Also, I'd definitely recommend dropping the pan, changing the filter, and draining the TC vs. having a flush done. It's a pretty easy job. There is a good set of instructions here:

http://members.shaw.ca/pferlow/transmission_oil.htm

Oh, one more thing--- if you're going to drop the pan, read the sticky at the top of this forum about "Loose Yellow Piece in tranny pan". : )

Good luck with your new truck.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:20 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
97's have a TC drain plug.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by glc
97's have a TC drain plug.
look toward the front of the transmission and there will be a black plug, pull that out and then you will probably have to rotate the torque converter to get to one of the plugs

Old 10-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Yup, you don't need to have a flush. Just drain the TC & tranny, change the filter, and enjoy.

Might want to install a drain plug in the pan while you've got it removed too....will make future changes much cleaner!

Your 5.4 should have the E4OD/4R100, which is a much tougher tranny than the 4R70W. It should have lots of miles left on it.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:26 AM
With 102K on the truck and no transmission maintenance I would have the filter changed and the fluid exchanged. Its difficult to determine reading your post if you intend to do this work yourself or have it done. If you plan to do it yourself drop the pan, change the filter, drain the torque converter and fill it up with Mercon V. If you take to a shop for a flush be sure they change the filter and use a Mercon V fluid. FYI, most dealers charge $150-$200 for a full transmission service. Little pricey but they'll use the OEM fluid and filter.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:15 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
most dealers charge $150-$200 for a full transmission service. Little pricey but they'll use the OEM fluid and filter.
Not necessarily - the dealer here will use aftermarket fluid to save money unless you specify OEM. That will cost you a bit more. In your case, no need to use a machine because you do have a TC drain plug.

Quick Reply: Should i flush the transmission???