F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   Transmissions (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions-25/)
-   -   4r70w options (https://www.f150online.com/forums/transmissions/337105-4r70w-options.html)

Toyoracing 05-28-2009 09:33 AM

Have a bad 4R70W transmission in my '02 F150

I have a gentlemen willing to sell me an AODE transmission. My question is, does anyone know if it will bolt up as a direct replacement? Or is there something I'm missing about the compatibility issues?

Are the AODE AND 4R70W transmission the same thing? I've been getting mixed information from several places on the web. Some say the AODE is just a nickname or abriviation for the 4R70W and that they're the same thing, then you have others that say that the AODE was introduced in 1991 then the 4R70W replaced it in later 1992. Like I said, is there something I'm missing? Please help me, I need information on this A.S.A.P.

Lol, it's funny how you can know so much, but yet so little :). Thanks for anyone that can help.

Darrin Burch 05-28-2009 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Toyoracing (Post 3743262)
I have a gentlemen willing to sell me an AODE transmission. My question is, does anyone know if it will bolt up as a direct replacement? Or is there something I'm missing about the compatibility issues?

Are the AODE AND 4R70W transmission the same thing? I've been getting mixed information from several places on the web. Some say the AODE is just a nickname or abriviation for the 4R70W and that they're the same thing, then you have others that say that the AODE was introduced in 1991 then the 4R70W replaced it in later 1992. Like I said, is there something I'm missing? Please help me, I need information on this A.S.A.P.

Lol, it's funny how you can know so much, but yet so little :). Thanks for anyone that can help.

An AODE is different form the 4R70W because it has a different gearset. You cannot swap one for the other without reprogramming the computer in the vehicle to account for that different gear ratio. Swapping them without accounting for that will burn up the transmission.

Darrin

Klitch 10-21-2009 01:20 AM

update on the saga for anyone who still follows, and maybe to do a little more irritation for Rod...

Followed up with Supplemental Proceedings today. granted 3 weeks continuance, not sure why i went for it but hey, i'll give him one chance to gather all the information i asked for, it is quite a bit. the man just refuses to pay me for whatever reason he can pull dream up.

brifirlym 10-26-2009 08:35 PM

I accept: in 97 the E4OD was used behind the 5.4L It'd take some scrounging and rewiring/PCM-work but would that be a possibility.

Klitch 10-26-2009 11:16 PM

97's was named 4r100, essentially the same beast. yes, its possible, most feasible with a donor truck to take wiring and computer from.

madferraristi 12-13-2009 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Klitch (Post 3260609)
yes, just not totally keen on the idea because of the fact it requires pcm swap. which means i would have to pay for tuning for the lightning swap i did, again. my only gripe about it really aside from all the unknowns.

the MB sounds pretty good again IF they have good guarantee's.

I don't think there would be any engine retuning necessary. As I understand it, all your tuner has to do is re-run your tune matched to the different catch code, then e-mail it to you.

I have helped (as in parts) a few guys make the conversion, new parts cost (except for trans) is less than $300 plus a used PCM, a shorter driveshaft and possibly a flex plate though usually not.

Klitch 12-14-2009 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by madferraristi (Post 3998243)
I don't think there would be any engine retuning necessary. As I understand it, all your tuner has to do is re-run your tune matched to the different catch code, then e-mail it to you.

I have helped (as in parts) a few guys make the conversion, new parts cost (except for trans) is less than $300 plus a used PCM, a shorter driveshaft and possibly a flex plate though usually not.

thats good to know, but i think troyer would charge me full price again cause he dont like me now.

at any rate Mike, I've purchased a nicely put together 4r70 by Darrin Burch

madferraristi 12-14-2009 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Klitch (Post 3998790)
at any rate Mike, I've purchased a nicely put together 4r70 by Darrin Burch

IMO, Darrin is the man when it comes to built 4R70W's.

Klitch 12-14-2009 08:26 PM

I've noticed. been trying to make sure people know :)

I still think I need a decent sized vinyl sticker, still the only truck that will continue to make me squirm. 60mph roll in 2nd gear brought it sideways on the cold asphalt. I just love the way it feels every time I get on it hard.

Thanks again Darrin, im sorry I didn't come across you before I tried the local guy!