rear main seal and manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear main seal and manual tranny

on my 89 f150 4x4 the rear main seal is leakin oil and tranny fluid. dosent seem to be a lot. just drops every now and then. but i was told that its really bad for a manual tranny cause oil will get on clutch and cause to slip. how long will it take to do all this and is there anything i can do besides replace it

Old 05-20-2008, 04:15 PM
anybody?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its hard to say. Soon as the clutch gets oil soaked. If I remember correctly from your post in the engine forum you said you use your truck to pull some kind of trailer. That would be a concern. A load on a possibly oil soak clutch isnt good. This is why people who have manuals should replace the rear main every time they replace the clutch. Dont forget the Slave cylinder either. You have to R& R the tranny to fix that and its a cheap part. The rear main is easy to fix once the trannys out.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
If the rear main seal is not gushing it will simply leak behind the flywheel. That oil will be flung onto the bellhousing. It will then drip down the sides. If it is a lot of oil it will drip straight down from the top onto the flywheel. If the input shaft seal on your tranny is leaking it will simply drip down the bellhousing and out the drain hole. The oil leaking from the transmission is not something to ignore. If the seal is leaking the bearing is loosing lubrication.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 05-29-2008, 02:02 PM
yea there is fluid runnin down the bell housin. and i dont think its leakin like a lot. i havent added any fluid in like a month and half and still decent in there i put some in ealier today. so if its not leakin alot then im not in to bad of shape with the cltuch getting soaked. im getting it fixed as soon as i can just dont have the money right now seein has i just has the slave cyl and everything replaced and the same day i get it back from the mechaincs shop its leakin from rear main. and i spent 650$ to get that stuff done

Quick Reply: rear main seal and manual tranny