How to purposefully ruin an automatic tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subs1000w
there are plenty of ways neutral drops are one but would be to obvious

put a vice grip on the rubber trans cooler line and drain about 1/2 the fluid and do some sprinted driving and or heavy towing then when it goes out remove the vise grip and fill the trans full again but use the used fluid that you drained so to not look like you just added new stuff that might do the trick
Except the place where the vice grip left marks on the hose.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:42 PM
newer trucks 04 and up have the revser computer thing 97-03 dont i can be going 20 MPH backwards thent throw it into drive and hammer it and it will slam into drive and spin the tires....yeah put it in netrual rev it to about4,000-5,000RPM and drop it into Drive without letting off the gas and your tranny will go ka-BOOM. or if u wanna do it fast hold the pedal to the floor in netrual and wait for ur truck to hit the rev limiter then throw it into drive. haha or when ur doing like 20-30 in drive throw it into park!! yeah if your driving 40MPH and try to shift into reverse almost every car will just shut off one of my friends did this to me and it just turned off. Just do some Nertrual drive slams and ull ******* that Chit up!!!! post some videos and pics of you guys doing it theyd be funny to see!! **maybe try going like 70ish and put your truck into frist gear my friend did this in a 89 F-150 and he said it was just bouncing off the rev limiter and the back tires locked up.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:51 PM
I'm glad newer cars have that safety feature. When I was 16 with my first car (old piece of crap) I got in the habit of popping it into neutral towards the end of backing out of a parking spot, coming to a stop and popping it into drive. I stupidly missed neutral one time and passed right into drive and the tranny made a nasty noise. From then on it'd take at least 20 seconds to engage drive after I shifted into it. Glad that's not possible on newer cars now because it was a pain and the car wasn't worth what a new trans would have costed.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You guys are funny!

Hopefully he doesn't end up actually doing one of these things...

But to comment on what joshmac4.6 said about folling the manual and servicing the tranny at 30,000 miles, my manual says not to touch it until 150,000 miles (30,000 miles for "special operating conditions", which I don't think he is). But his truck is a little newer than mine (he has round fog lights, so 2006+), so maybe they bumpted up the recommended interval..??..

Old 03-04-2008, 03:00 PM
hire me to drive it

Old 03-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
**maybe try going like 70ish and put your truck into frist gear my friend did this in a 89 F-150 and he said it was just bouncing off the rev limiter and the back tires locked up.
My little brother did this with my 5spd. He was going own a hill and went to down shift my truck. Instead of hitting 4th he hit second and forced it in. When he let of the clutch the back tires locked up and skidded tell he put the clutch back in. Maybe thats the reason i had to replace my tranny after 15000 more miles LOL

Old 03-04-2008, 03:20 PM
tow stuff with overdrive....however some of our members think this is a good idea for some unknown reason

Old 03-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
You guys are funny!

Hopefully he doesn't end up actually doing one of these things...

But to comment on what joshmac4.6 said about folling the manual and servicing the tranny at 30,000 miles, my manual says not to touch it until 150,000 miles (30,000 miles for "special operating conditions", which I don't think he is). But his truck is a little newer than mine (he has round fog lights, so 2006+), so maybe they bumpted up the recommended interval..??..
I find that hard to believe. My '01 recommends having the tranny fluid and filter replaced every 30k miles. I bought the truck used with around 32k on it and around 70k the tranny started acting up. Had it serviced and it took care of all of the problems.

I would say that the truck in the OP shoould be have all of the TSB that need to be done completed to see if that corrects the issues. If the current dealer does not want to do them, then take it some place else. If you try to kill the tranny, you may end up causing more damage to other drivetrain componets that would cost big $$$$ to fix.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:30 PM
The Ford "Severe Service or Special Operating" applies to 99.9% of all drivers, even you grandmother falls in this category. Severe Service is *ANY* stop and go traffic or climbing any thing other than perfectly level. Hauling any weight, Toolbox, or just a truckload of people. The manual may say not until 150,000, but I'll see you about 90-100,000 come in on the rollback with a useless peice of aluminuim that used to be the trans. I would love to see the look on their faces when Ford sends out their Field Engineers to inspect this "failed" trans, and they show them every piece of evidence that points to misuse and then even tell them what they did to cause this. Service the d**n truck, continue to do preventitive maintenance, and it will last you as long as you want it to.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
newer trucks 04 and up have the revser computer thing 97-03 dont i can be going 20 MPH backwards thent throw it into drive and hammer it and it will slam into drive and spin the tires....yeah put it in netrual rev it to about4,000-5,000RPM and drop it into Drive without letting off the gas and your tranny will go ka-BOOM. or if u wanna do it fast hold the pedal to the floor in netrual and wait for ur truck to hit the rev limiter then throw it into drive. haha or when ur doing like 20-30 in drive throw it into park!! yeah if your driving 40MPH and try to shift into reverse almost every car will just shut off one of my friends did this to me and it just turned off. Just do some Nertrual drive slams and ull ******* that Chit up!!!! post some videos and pics of you guys doing it theyd be funny to see!! **maybe try going like 70ish and put your truck into frist gear my friend did this in a 89 F-150 and he said it was just bouncing off the rev limiter and the back tires locked up.
New truck have the park lockout as well!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
The Ford "Severe Service or Special Operating" applies to 99.9% of all drivers, even you grandmother falls in this category. Severe Service is *ANY* stop and go traffic or climbing any thing other than perfectly level. Hauling any weight, Toolbox, or just a truckload of people. The manual may say not until 150,000, but I'll see you about 90-100,000 come in on the rollback with a useless peice of aluminuim that used to be the trans. I would love to see the look on their faces when Ford sends out their Field Engineers to inspect this "failed" trans, and they show them every piece of evidence that points to misuse and then even tell them what they did to cause this. Service the d**n truck, continue to do preventitive maintenance, and it will last you as long as you want it to.

I know I'm getting off topic... But I'm sorry, that sounds like typical dealership up-selling. Trying to increase profit margins. Just like the old mechanic telling everyone to still change their oil every 3,000 miles.

It specifically says that if you "only occasionally operate your vehcile under these conditions, it is not necessary to perform the additional maintenance." It certainly doesn't say that ANY stop & go or climbing is considered severe.

Sorry, but dealers attempts to have you over-maintain your vehicle is nothing more than old thinking and a greedy way to make more money. I know we're not talking about this here, but the 3,000 mile oil change interval really irks me. I mean, if someone wants to do 3,000 miles OCI because it makes them feel better, then fine. But to have so-called professionals preach it as gospil is just wrong. Modern dino SL oils can easily go 5,000 OCI, and still leaves plenty of TBN to go further... I feel the same is true with regard to much of the maintenance that local dealerships suggest. Yeah, there are SOME people who meet the qualification of severe service, but the old mantra that everyone who drives in California meets severe duty is crap!

Last edited by bamorris2; 03-04-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Anyway guys, thanks for all the comments... I spoke to him today at lunch, and I suggested that he goes to a different dealer. Have them look at it. Even if they say "can't replicate", I told him to be sure they give him a receipt showing that he has complained about it several times. That way if it does completely go out after warranty, at least he would have a leg to stand on getting Ford to foot the bill.

Of course, he says that if this other dealership also denys the problem, then he's selling it for a Silverado. I told him that if he does that, we will no longer be "buds".

Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2

Sorry, but dealers attempts to have you over-maintain your vehicle is nothing more than old thinking and a greedy way to make more money. I know we're not talking about this here, but the 3,000 mile oil change interval really irks me. I mean, if someone wants to do 3,000 miles OCI because it makes them feel better, then fine. But to have so-called professionals preach it as gospil is just wrong. Modern dino SL oils can easily go 5,000 OCI, and still leaves plenty of TBN to go further... I feel the same is true with regard to much of the maintenance that local dealerships suggest. Yeah, there are SOME people who meet the qualification of severe service, but the old mantra that everyone who drives in California meets severe duty is crap!
Ok believe what you want, it is a lot cheaper to get the $100-$150 fluid flush then a $2000+ trans. Oil is different, depending on your driving habits and the conditions which you drive in is how I reccommend changing it. Trust me the dealerships are trying to help you when the suggest something. If you are lucky enough that you only keep the vehicle for 100,000 miles or so and then trade, then treat it like s**t, and don't keep it up to par as far as maintenance goes, but I have 146,000 on my truck and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. You can stretch service intervals and whatnot, but trust me, it hurts the longevity of all the parts on the vehicle.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Holy friggin insurance fraud...

Originally Posted by alsupercab
tow stuff with overdrive....however some of our members think this is a good idea for some unknown reason
The tranny is no weaker in OD than third gear. You only want to lock out OD (towing or not) if the tranny is constantly hunting between 3rd and 4th in hills or cruzing in traffic at 50ish.

Adrianspeeder

Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 PM
i used to have a 2000 crown vic that we beat the hell out of and one day i accidently knocked it into reverse and MAN i have never heard a more painful sound to a car. It went into reverse allright. rear wheels went into reverse i was goin about 50 mph to. But it must be one tuff tranny. i popped it right back into drive and it ran and shifted just fine... like nothin ever happened.

Anyways we let one of our work trucks tranny fluid go VERY low. and it shifted just fine but when you drove it in reverse it would shake SO bad but it would drive. But long story short. one day put it into reverse and i was backing up and it slipped out of reverse and would never get passed forst gear.

Quick Reply: How to purposefully ruin an automatic tranny?