Transmission Shudder

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just changed my tranny fluid..all of it! and its better but still doin it.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:59 PM
I have a 1997 XLT FWD with 304,000 miles. I started having a "transmission" shudder February 2009 (278,000 miles), and have babied this thing with Lucas, a transmission fluid change and a transmission full service, to include the filter being changed. The problem is between 2d and 3rd gears in traffic and 3rd and 4th after de-accelerating or pulling a hill. It is more prominent after about 30 minutes of in town driving. It pops and sputters. It strains, and I have to let off. Once I get it to shift, everything is fine, and on long trips, if I can get it up to cruise, I set it, and the hill pulling is much better because of the regulated fuel input of cruise control. I have a tad of raggedness on the idling in the last three months.

I was coming back from court last Monday at 74 on cruise control, my gauges went down, and I was basically coasting with no fire. I had replaced my battery in January 2009. Consequently, I had dismissed my battery light indicator popping up for about three minutes the previous day. My alternator (304,000 miles) had given up the ghost. I replaced it, and had my battery recharged.

My shifting problem has improved 50 percent. The only other time I had a shuddering problem was back in late 1999 when my plug wires needed replacing. If I can ever stop long enough, I'm going to get a tune-up and a new fuel filter, and see if I can make it another 100,000.

My old nag is one bad *** truck, it is paid for, and I intend to keep it rolling.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 PM
nice! mine needed a tune up. got it done yesterday along with new plugs and coils and it hasnt done it since.

Quick Reply: Transmission Shudder