Hard Shifting E4OD

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Hard Shifting E4OD

My truck is a 94 F150 4x4 ww/auto. It has started to shift very hard lately. At first there were no codes, just started shifting hard. Reset everything by disconnecting the battery and it drove fine for about 30 miles then started shifting hard again. Got under the hood and started checking all the connections to the sensors, cleaning them with contact cleaner and then adding fresh silicone grease. Run fine for about 20-30 miles again. this time however it threw a code for the TPS to low output. Checked wiring, cleared the code, but it came right back, so I replaced the TPS. NO codes and the truck ran great...for about 60-100 miles. NOw it is back to shifting hard , but no codes. Anyone have any ideas before I take it to the shop.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
I have had this problem before and today it kicked back on and started doin it again.. i checked my fluids and they are all fine.. i am clueless as well on this so if anyone has any insight to this, it would be awesome..

Old 11-07-2007, 03:30 PM
I had a 94 or 96 f150 4x4 with a 302 and E04D tranny. It would shift hard from 1st to 2nd only. All other shifts were good. I am not a tranny expert but I did have a shop manual. One of the things listed as possible causes was a "1-2 shift accumulator". I was able to drop the pan, then the valve body, and behind a C-clip and cap is a piston with a spring on either side of it. One of the springs was broken.

Now I can't tell you which C-clip I took out as I don't have the book on that any more. Hopefully someone on here that is a tranny expert can tell you if this is something that should be checked or not. Also remember that MY problem was just a 1-2 shift problem.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Hard Shifting E4OD