Is it my Trans or TC slipping over 65 MPH?? Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it my Trans or TC slipping over 65 MPH?? Please Advise

I have a 97 4x4 F150 w/ 140,000 mi, auto trans and just had a flowmaster dual exhaust system installed. no previous symptoms- Ran great for a week, now when i'm crusing @65- 2k rpm's or above, my RPM's intermittently rev way up but i go no where, like my transmission just disapeared. I'll lay off the gas and it engages back at 1500rpm's or so. Is my trans going, or Torque converter or could it be just a sensor? Fluid level is fine, could probably use a change of fluid, but could that even cause these symptoms??

Any advice is greatly appreaciated..
F

Old 06-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont know much about auto trans but it sounds like somethin to do with your tc

Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Tranny Flush

Originally Posted by franki21
I have a 97 4x4 F150 w/ 140,000 mi, auto trans and just had a flowmaster dual exhaust system installed. no previous symptoms- Ran great for a week, now when i'm crusing @65- 2k rpm's or above, my RPM's intermittently rev way up but i go no where, like my transmission just disapeared. I'll lay off the gas and it engages back at 1500rpm's or so. Is my trans going, or Torque converter or could it be just a sensor? Fluid level is fine, could probably use a change of fluid, but could that even cause these symptoms??

Any advice is greatly appreaciated..
F
Here in texas a tranny flush costs about $175 with a new filter. YOu need to have that done. SOunds like the TC is not staying locked. YOu probably have a lot of crao in the tranny. Mine was doing that at 115k and I got her flushed. Runs like a champ now. You will notice an immediate difference if you are on the original fluid and filter.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:11 PM
be careful on those flushes with that many miles

I think transmission flushes are great, so long as the truck has had a regular change interval. But this whole business of doing a flush without dropping the pan and changing that filter is risky.

With 140K miles on your rig, I'd be nervous about doing an outright flush at this point.

Do this yourself: drop the pan, change the filter, and fill it back up with the proper ATF. Then do it again within a 100 miles or so. (I buy the absolute cheapest ATF I can find on a drain/fill if I know I'm going to be flushing soon after or in a case like yours-doing a couple of drain/fills in a short time). Then when you do it the second time, use a better quality ATF. You'll still have diluted ATF but you'll be ~ half new/half old after the second drain and fill. Only then would I consider a flush, particularly in your case.

I use a synthetic ATF myself during a flush.

Good luck.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My guess is your tranny is toast ..

You can probably get some more out of it by doing a fluid filter change but That wont fix the damage. You should change the fluid every 25k The filter every other fluid change at least so every 50k. Drain the tourqe converter. Someone said do it twice and thats a good idea on one like that becuse Tranmission fluid is loaded with solent anfn you put in new fluid on a neglected tranny like that it will break allot of crap loose. Dont throw away your stock gasket they are reuseable and much better than the ones that come in the kits. dont worry about the lollipop in the pan its garbage.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:20 PM
Both, great advice! I'll try that first a go from there. One thing i did notice was- with the overdrive OFF = no slippage. Could my overdrive be shot? What exactly is overdrive anyway? ...Is it just an electronic sensor?

thanks again.
F

Old 06-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Both, great advice! I'll try that first a go from there. One thing i did notice was- with the overdrive OFF = no slippage. Could my overdrive be shot? What exactly is overdrive anyway? ...Is it just an electronic sensor?

thanks again.
F
Yes your overdrive is toast. Ive lost 2 trannys in these trucks and thats alway how they fail.. Its a clutch on a gear I think. Costs about $2600 last one I had fixed.. After this remember to change the oil every 2 years or 25k.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
Yes your overdrive is toast. Ive lost 2 trannys in these trucks and thats alway how they fail.. Its a clutch on a gear I think. Costs about $2600 last one I had fixed.. After this remember to change the oil every 2 years or 25k.
Dang for just a little more you can have a built tranny with a lifetime warranty!

Old 06-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by built54
Dang for just a little more you can have a built tranny with a lifetime warranty!
Thats what I did.. only got a 2 year warranty though.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:29 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like the overdrive band is toasted. I see that a lot on the truck transmissions. If this is the case then its time to look into a new transmission. Since its a 97 you also have the older friction material in the direct clutch. That isn't helping you any.

How does the fluid look and smell?

Darrin

Old 06-23-2007, 12:52 PM
a little more advice....

From this website, I have read of some other members purchasing larger transmission pans that have a drain plug in them (from TCI maybe?). They typically hold 2 more quarts of transmission fluid (a definite plus).

I have found that walmart sells their brand of ATF that is mercon and
mercon V at a cost of $3.17/quart.

When a truck is out of warranty, it seems like a good idea to add this pan. You can go with the cheapest fluid out there and do simple drain and fills, no dropping the pan, every 10-15K miles if you wish. Do it yourself, it's cheap. (Well the pan isn't, it is roughly $191). But the fluid replacement is what, maybe $18-$23 every 8-10 months? Good insurance if you ask me.

Then just drop the pan and change the filter every 30-40K miles. I believe you could extend all of this with a synthetic: Mobil 1, RP, Amsoil, Redline.

Has anyone ever considered taking your existing pan and drilled/tapped a drain hole yourself? I thought about taking mine to a machine shop and having it done at a later date (post warranty).

Last edited by doctorD; 06-23-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by doctorD
Has anyone ever considered taking your existing pan and drilled/tapped a drain hole yourself? I thought about taking mine to a machine shop and having it done at a later date (post warranty).
Yes I've done that you can buy the kit to do it at NAPA you just drill a hole and install the kit..

Old 06-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Fluid is slightly brown -could use a change, but from the sound of you guys, i'm "past the point of no return" with this tranny. $2,600 rebuilt?? DAMM...

thanks

Old 06-23-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
Yes I've done that you can buy the kit to do it at NAPA you just drill a hole and install the kit..
I drilled a hole in mine and brazed a nut on there and it worked great

Old 06-23-2007, 07:07 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Fluid is slightly brown -could use a change, but from the sound of you guys, i'm "past the point of no return" with this tranny. $2,600 rebuilt?? DAMM...

thanks
It shouldn't cost that much to get a good transmission.

Just out of curiosity, where are you located?

Darrin

Quick Reply: Is it my Trans or TC slipping over 65 MPH?? Please Advise