T-case stuck in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T-case stuck in neutral

'93 4x4, 5.8L, manual shift t-case. Think it's a 1356.

Been working lately to get the case to shift back into 4L, but the shifters push down action was rusted solid. Through lots of PB and gentle(really) hammering, I slowly broke it loose and shifted into the low range. Great, that works fine. Went to put it back, got it into N, and then POP, and the shift handle fell through the floor, hanging by the rubber boot. Right by the bolt that holds the shifter assemble to the frame, it just snapped off.

So: It's stuck in neutral. If I jiggle the handle just right I can slip it back into low range, but I can't get it back into a road-driveable setting, even 4H to drive to the local tranny shop. I tried getting under the truck and whacking the linkage from the shifter to the case's shift arm(it's already broken, so I don't really care anymore). Won't budge at all. Tried rolling the truck around a little, didn't help.

Noticed on the rear-facing side of the case there is a "shift pattern" more or less scribed around a rather large hole. There's a bunch of dirt and stuff in there so I can't really tell if there's a key or bolt recessed in there to shift. Is there anything in there, and if so can it shift the case without using the shift arm?

Need some help here, this is the only vehicle I have, and I need to drive it tomorrow by noon. All I need is to get it back into 2H, I'll worry about fixing the shifter later.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pull the front drive shaft. drive real slow watch the rpms

Old 06-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess you've gotten something done by now, but:

No, you can't use the marks on the back of the case - manual t-cases don't have the shaft coming out there for the shift motor.

You should be able to pry (not beat) on the little shift lever on the front of the t-case & get it back into high range, especially if you leave the trans in N & pick up one back tire (chock the fronts front&back) so the d-shaft will spin.

Quick Reply: T-case stuck in neutral