Big Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Mystery

2002 fx w/ 5.4 w/55k miles. 75% of the time the vehicle drags, just like your pulling a trailer. I'm constantly on the gas or it looses momentum asap. The rest of the time, it runs OK. Mileage tanked - 9MPG. Seems like the problem is in the tranny or TC because if I shift into neutral on the flat or down grade, the truck will mainatain or increase speed; otherwise, its like having a parachute....just slows real quick, even in OD. Brakes are fine. Experts say without codes showing, they can't or won't help. Any suggestions besides trading it in.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure your brakes are not binding.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Bring it to a good, reputable transmission shop, you're right, the problem most likely is in the tranny. "Do-it-all" auto centers tend to ***** the OBD scanner to tell them what's wrong, since diagnosing is usually a tedious process when you're got thousands of parts that could be the culprit.

Could be anything as simple as bad fluid, excessive sediment buildup, or a bearing could have crapped out and seized. If it's that, likely the fluid will be black and smell burnt due to the extreme heat that would produce.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Follow-up

Thanks for the advice. I noticed yesterday that there is 1/4" - 1/2 " of bare metal showing at the output shaft coming out of the rear of the transfer/tranny housing - right in front of the first u-joint. May or may not be related. Might be the imfamous yoke/slip problem that is often discussed in this forum.

Quick Reply: Big Mystery