Trans Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Trans Cooler

Thinking about adding another Perma-Cool trans cooler in addition to the stock one. I'll also add one of those 180* thermostats in the line too so it will only flow through that one when needed.

My question is on the way they rate those things in the advertisement...by GVWR. Do you guys actually go by this?? I was kinda leaning towards the fact that since I will be running a thermostat anyways, I'll just buy the biggest one that physically fits on the truck where I want it. If it's too big, the only thing that would/should happen is it cools too much, if there is such a thing. Even then, still got the thermostat to prevent it from overcooling. What do you guys think??

Old 05-11-2007, 01:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Galaxy, are you looking to "see" the lowest temps you can or what??

With your sensor on the trans output line, you will see the highest temps the TC is producing... So, if it's unlocked, that's when it's going to be pumping out the hottest temps you see on the gauge.

Those temps you see don't mean that's the same temp that's in the pan and what your trans is seeing...

In my experience, I can see my trans temp go to 180* pretty easily. Towing or not. But, once it reaches 180*, it takes quite a bit to get it to go over that. That is when the TC is LOCKED.... When the TC is unlocked, it'll go past 210* really fast...

The key is keeping the TC locked as much as possible. Stop and go traffic is not going to see that. Even with the biggest, baddest cooler in town, and fans and whatever, as long as that TC is unlocked, it's going to generate a ton of heat and your sensor is only going to pick up that unlocked TC temp....

I ain't saying don't get the additional cooler, but what I am saying is that you might not see the temp drop you expect depending on what state your TC is in when you read the temp....

Heck, when I first got my TT and had to back it into it's parking spot next to the house, my trans temp would shoot to 210* + after only a couple of minutes or so....

Then I started putting the truck in 4LO to backup and the trans temp does not budge from 180*.... I can maneuver all I want and it won't move....

I can cruise all day long in locked third and keep the trans temp at 180*... Hit that first grade and downshift into unlocked second, or pull into town to get gas, and the temp is up to 210* in no time....

If you go with the added cooler, keep us updated on the results if you could? I know I'd be very interested in the results, as I've only got the stock setup and would like to know if 'bigger is better'...

Mitch

Old 05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Mitch...you're write up is exactly my experiences. And yes, that's my logic of thinking...adding the additional cooler to assist with those higher temps during the unlocked periods, and in traffic. My numbers match yours almost exactly. I did not have a goal of reducing the temps as much as possible all the time, thus the thermostat I would install. I'm fine when the converter is locked, just as you wrote. Just an idea since it's not a very expensive mod...$100 for a cooler, $42 for the thermostat, call it $80 for the lines & fittings.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you considered a fan on the stock cooler ? My Edge is only showing 150-160 in stop & go traffic with the tc locked. Of course,thats a no load condition too.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:51 PM
MitchF150 and or Galaxy, What would your temp's hit down in 2nd with the TQ locked? When pulling my trailer I never let it hunt for gears and I never let my TQ unlock for any amount of time. When we go riding there is a 6% grade that I pull down in 2nd gear at 40mph at 3000rpm, I am only about 1/2 throttle. What temp's do you think I would be hitting??

Thanks

Old 05-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
bigdad8214,

When I hit a grade while towing, I let the trans downshift on it's own from 3rd. When it does that, it will start off in unlocked 2nd and then I feel it lock. That's when I pull the gear shift to "2" and just hold it there.

Normally, I'm very conscience of making sure it locks and then my temp will hold anywhere from 180* to 195* depending on how hot it is outside. The few times it's gone to 210* was when it stayed in unlock mode too long. I can get it to lock by giving it a little bit more pedal, feel it lock, then I settle into a speed (usually between 50-55 mph pulling 3000-3500 rpms) I'm only at around 1/2 throttle as well.

My water temp will go to 210* on these long pulls, but it's not gone any hotter then that. When my trans did get to 210*, once the TC locked, it went down to 195* while still pulling the hill. Once I got to the top and started down the hill, my water temp went back to 195* and the trans went back to 180*.

Way back when I first got the temp gauges, I thought about getting the Troyer fan/cooler setup. When I called and talked to the guy, he asked why I think I needed that setup over stock. I said that I was towing and would see the higher temps in stop and go traffic... He asked where my temp sensor was, I said on the trans output line and he said basically what I said in my above post and that I probably would not see any drop in temp at the gauge because the fan was pre set 180* at the cooler. If I was seeing only 180* before it even hit the rad cooler, then the fan would probably not turn on all that often. He said that even when it gets to 210*, it's still not hot enough to really worry about it. Start getting over 230* and then you have something to deal with..... That was over 5 years ago and my temps do the same thing every Summer going over the pass.

But, I'm always looking for other's experiences as well!

Mitch

Old 05-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by MitchF150
bigdad8214,

When I hit a grade while towing, I let the trans downshift on it's own from 3rd. When it does that, it will start off in unlocked 2nd and then I feel it lock. That's when I pull the gear shift to "2" and just hold it there.

Normally, I'm very conscience of making sure it locks and then my temp will hold anywhere from 180* to 195* depending on how hot it is outside. The few times it's gone to 210* was when it stayed in unlock mode too long. I can get it to lock by giving it a little bit more pedal, feel it lock, then I settle into a speed (usually between 50-55 mph pulling 3000-3500 rpms) I'm only at around 1/2 throttle as well.

My water temp will go to 210* on these long pulls, but it's not gone any hotter then that. When my trans did get to 210*, once the TC locked, it went down to 195* while still pulling the hill. Once I got to the top and started down the hill, my water temp went back to 195* and the trans went back to 180*.

Way back when I first got the temp gauges, I thought about getting the Troyer fan/cooler setup. When I called and talked to the guy, he asked why I think I needed that setup over stock. I said that I was towing and would see the higher temps in stop and go traffic... He asked where my temp sensor was, I said on the trans output line and he said basically what I said in my above post and that I probably would not see any drop in temp at the gauge because the fan was pre set 180* at the cooler. If I was seeing only 180* before it even hit the rad cooler, then the fan would probably not turn on all that often. He said that even when it gets to 210*, it's still not hot enough to really worry about it. Start getting over 230* and then you have something to deal with..... That was over 5 years ago and my temps do the same thing every Summer going over the pass.

But, I'm always looking for other's experiences as well!

Mitch
That is the best reply I have ever seen

Quick Reply: Trans Cooler