how stout??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how stout??

how stout are the clutches in the 98 f150's with a v6?? to day i towed my 2300 pound p.a. system to a local venue and did sound and the truck towed the trailer like a champ, my problem came when it was time to put the system away. i store my system at my parents house and the spot i put the trailer in with this truck there is only about 4 inches of clearnace on each side, and its up hill, so it toom me about 20 minutes or so to get the trailer in its spot. in doing so i im afriad i put alot of wear on my clutch. so i was wondering how stout the clutches in this modle of truck is. do i really need to worry, or am i just working my self up for nothing?? i dont have a tach in this truck either so i dont know what rpms i ws pushing, all i know it that in the 20 minutes i rarely was able to completely get off the clutch, and i was running low enough rpms that i killed the truck a couple of times. so agian any opinions would be appriciated greatly, and thanks for the input on my last post.

Jess

Old 05-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
It's an OK clutch. Still have the stock on the '97 and we've towed 10k lbs with it no problems.

Yer problem is the M5OD-R2 has high first and reverse gears which makes it very hard on a clutch shuffling a trailer on a hill. I would always use 4x4 low range with the front axle vacuum controller disabled (if on hard pavement) to get the gear reduction. Bigger torque of the V8 helped too.

As long as you didn't smell burnin/see smoke rollin' out/couldn't take off afterwords from slipping, ya'll should be fine.

Actually this is the exact same thing that kills a lot of automatics. Pullin' a monster triple slide out fifthwheel on the highway hard and fast nice and hot, then 20mins of shuffling first and reverse on the campground gettin' the right spot with no air being forced into the cooler, and then they wonder why it's pukin' fluid at 250+ degrees.

What axle gears ya got? Post the axle code from the door jam sticker.

Adrianspeeder

Old 05-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i didnt smell anything, nor did i see smoke, and i have already killed an automatic with my little 5x8 single axle trailer. well thanks for input.

Quick Reply: how stout??