royal purple ATF?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
royal purple ATF?

Wondering if anyone has used this? I am at about 48k miles on my 03 Exp, and would like to do a good ATF change. I was gonna pick up some RP ATF, although it is $8/quart. I use RP oil with a K&N filter. Not sure if it is any better than other synthetics, but I like the reports about lowering friction etc.

The RP ATF bottle says can be used in place of Dextron or Mercon (not Mercon V). Wondering if there are any issues with that?

Old 04-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by waterman308
Wondering if anyone has used this? I am at about 48k miles on my 03 Exp, and would like to do a good ATF change. I was gonna pick up some RP ATF, although it is $8/quart. I use RP oil with a K&N filter. Not sure if it is any better than other synthetics, but I like the reports about lowering friction etc.

The RP ATF bottle says can be used in place of Dextron or Mercon (not Mercon V). Wondering if there are any issues with that?
Hi Waterman;

Don't use it.

You must use a Mercon V rated ATF.

Here's a link to RP's compatability chart: http://www.royalpurple.com/techa/tranxref.html

Note that there is no RP product for a Mercon V application ( Like yours).

Try Mobil1's Mercon V fluid, http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...hetic_ATF.aspx

... or just use good old Motorcraft Mercon V ATF http://www.fordpowerproducts.com/products.do?item=15 .... and save some $.

Good luck.

Cheers
Bubba

Last edited by MGDfan; 04-25-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Thank you sir. I was on RP's site but missed that. That's what I wanted to know. Not sure I understand the difference between V and not-V mercon but I don't wanna ruin a perfectly good tranny either. Sounds like I just need to do a regular fluid flush.

At 48Kmiles, should I also drop the pan and change/clean the filter, or is it good enough to just get the system flushed with all new fluid?

Old 04-27-2007, 08:46 AM
Hi Waterman;

Mercon V: --> https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...31&postcount=3

And here's a good read on the tranny flush/pandrop debate: --> https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=281447.

Most folks don't trust a flush, looks like. (Me, I've always just dropped the pan, cleaned it out, changed the filter and added fluid on a yearly basis).

Cheers
bubba

Old 04-27-2007, 12:57 PM
I was reading that thread too. Not too conclusive.

I have a 98 E350 V10 bought with 48K miles. Did the flush first thing. Also had my 96 Concorde flushed once or twice. Never had a problem, though it is probably time to do the van again (87K ).

Old 04-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by waterman308
I was reading that thread too. Not too conclusive.

I have a 98 E350 V10 bought with 48K miles. Did the flush first thing. Also had my 96 Concorde flushed once or twice. Never had a problem, though it is probably time to do the van again (87K ).
Hi again.

Well, you could always do what MT advocates...both!

Originally Posted by Superchips_Distributor
Another point is that in most cases, these transmission are NOT getting maintained like they need to be - which is a complete and proper FLUSH of the entire transmission & torque converter, and *then* drop the pan and replace the filter, and refill the tranny once again - that must be done at least every 30K miles, Ford's service procedure is not enough. Proper flushing of the entire tranny and then replacing the filter is the only way to properly maintain any automatic transmission. Even on the pre-2001's that still have a torque converter drain plug, you are still leaving multiple quarts of fluid back in the worm trail, etc., so they need to be flushed - just like we describe to everyone in the docs we send out with every set of custom tunes we provide....

Old 04-27-2007, 03:56 PM
Actually, I've been trying to figure out how to do that w/out wasting the brandy-new ATF! I guess i could catch it in a clean vessle under the pan and put it back in?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Royal Purple is Mercon V compatible

We use Royal Purple ATF in our F150 trannys. Both are 2005 Screws, 4x4.

Yes indeed the RP website says no Mercon V recommendation, however, if you call them, ask for David. He will tell you that the Dexron/Mercon ATF they make is indeed usable in our transmissions that require Mercon V.

What I was told was that they "exceed" Mercon V requirements and that is why they cannot put Mercon V compatible. Their webpage should be updated but it is not.

Collectively, we have 38K miles now on Royal Purple MAX ATF. No problems.

And Royal Purple will pay for any damage to the tranny caused by the use of their ATF in a Mercon V application.

I do a pan drop, filter change, and flush.

I use the cheap walmart mercon V stuff for the 5-6 quart refill because I don't mind tossing $13 bucks to do a flush with full synthetic.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by doctorD

Yes indeed the RP website says no Mercon V recommendation, however, if you call them, ask for David. He will tell you that the Dexron/Mercon ATF they make is indeed usable in our transmissions that require Mercon V.

What I was told was that they "exceed" Mercon V requirements and that is why they cannot put Mercon V compatible. Their webpage should be updated but it is not.

And Royal Purple will pay for any damage to the tranny caused by the use of their ATF in a Mercon V application.

I use the cheap walmart mercon V stuff for the 5-6 quart refill because I don't mind tossing $13 bucks to do a flush with full synthetic.
Thanks, but I have a bit of a problem with that.

The site's been like that forever.
What's wrong with stating 'meets or exceeds' ???
How is the container labelled? Is it incorrect there too?
Given how many folks would pass on it's use due to misleading specs, you'd think updated & accurate info would be a priority. The competition sure isn't sitting still or neglecting to state V compatability.
Editing a web site doesn't take long at all.
Lastly, if you have problem, and there is nothing in writing to indicate compliance, I wonder how well a claim will hold up? Uh, 'Dave said so' isn't going to cut it.

Pass - I use Mobil1.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:59 PM

I don't fall for the BS to sell the product. I only use MerconV fluid. In fact I am picky in that I prefer the motorcraft fluid best of all. I never understand peoples obsession with wanting to pay more for fluid because it has the name Royal Purple, Amsoil or Redline on it. You cannot go wrong using what the manufacturer suggests for the transmission. They designed it, they spec'd the fluid for it. I guarantee they spent more man hours coming up with their fluid than the other guys did. I am die-hard on alot of things I believe in OE parts. I use all my fuel and ignition parts from ford directly and alot of my transmission parts including fluid. Saying Royal Purple will cover the damage is great, now all you have to do is prove the fluid caused the damage. Good luck.
Alan

Old 05-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
We use Royal Purple ATF in our F150 trannys.
Yeah, but please take this small tidbit of advice from someone that sees the insides of a LOT of burnt up 4R70 and 4R75 transmissions...
Don't do that. Not on a 4R transmission.

I am not going to go off on my RP rant because that stuff has upset me enough. I am just going to leave it at don't do that.

Darrin

Old 05-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Since we are the topic of synthetic Mercon-V, what does everyone think of the AMSoil ATF? Yesterday when I did my tranny fluid change, I noticed that stuff at $9.50 a quart right next to the valvoline I bought at $4 a quart. Seems a little expensive since I drain my torque converter and end up having to put 12 quarts back in the darn thing.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:18 PM
I don't blame you all for not wanting to use RP if it's not labeled Mercon V. Mobil Mercon V is good. I'd use it too but I can't find but a quart at a time at WalMart, Advanced Auto, or Autozone.

Amsoil's ATF is Mercon V also. I've used it also. Good stuff. Roughly $7/quart for preferred customer.

Old 05-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by Darrin Burch
Yeah, but please take this small tidbit of advice from someone that sees the insides of a LOT of burnt up 4R70 and 4R75 transmissions...
Don't do that. Not on a 4R transmission.

I am not going to go off on my RP rant because that stuff has upset me enough. I am just going to leave it at don't do that.

Darrin
Why do you see lots of burnt up transmissions? Are they all due to the use of Royal Purple?

Old 05-04-2007, 12:07 PM
im using Merc III

Quick Reply: royal purple ATF?