Is this a stock transmisison cooler ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a stock transmisison cooler ?

I got my truck from my father. It does not have a tow package without receiver, 7 blade adapter but does have the 130A alternator. It also appears to have this transmission cooler.

Is this a stock transmisison cooler and is it adequate for the occasional tow of a 2 horse aluminum bumper pull?

Last edited by dennisfranz; 04-10-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Before you go trying to tow anything, go get a hitch installed. Trying to tow a two-horse trailer just using your bumper as a "hitch" will result in you ripping off your bumper and the poor demise of those beautiful creatures you are towing. The most I would ever hook up to a bumper would maybe be a log splitter, but even then I would hate doing it. Hitches aren't very expensive (a couple hundred). Do the right thing and just invest in the hitch, it will save your horses lives and other vehicles on the road, not to mention yourself.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by NHSP-06
Before you go trying to tow anything, go get a hitch installed. Trying to tow a two-horse trailer just using your bumper as a "hitch" will result in you ripping off your bumper and the poor demise of those beautiful creatures you are towing. The most I would ever hook up to a bumper would maybe be a log splitter, but even then I would hate doing it. Hitches aren't very expensive (a couple hundred). Do the right thing and just invest in the hitch, it will save your horses lives and other vehicles on the road, not to mention yourself.
I agree.

Yea, I plan on getting a receiver for it instead of just a ball on the bumper. I can't stand that anyways. I have seen too many bumpers roll under or push into the tailgate from stopping too quickly with too heavy a load (if any).

I have a F250 7.3L for our living quartered 3 horse GN trailer but I got this truck for the 2 horse bumper pull for vets and around town. The larger is for travelling and camping.

Is this still a suitable tranny cooler and is this the cooler that Ford offers in its tow package?

Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 PM
Looks like the PS cooler, not a trans cooler.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fire604
i agree

Old 04-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Originally Posted by Fire604
PS cooler?

Old 04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a trannie cooler. The PS cooler is below the rubber piece, up against the cross-member.

PS Cooler

Trannie Cooler

It does look smaller though, probably due to not having the tow package.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is the factory trans cooler, the tow package would have been an upgrded version (bigger). that should be adequate for ~3500lbs, any more and I'd get a bigger cooler.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the info !

Old 04-12-2007, 10:58 PM
if you get the receiver installed be sure to hook up the trailer level. ive seen too many people with it way up in the air causing everything to shift behind the axle and lift up on the rear end of the truck. and others with the trailer really low causing it to bottom out when pulling into some parking lots. and if it is level it will make for a smoother ride.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just added this to my truck for a little extra tranny cooling.
http://www.chickenears.com/transcooler.htm

Phil

Old 04-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by phil6608
I just added this to my truck for a little extra tranny cooling.
http://www.chickenears.com/transcooler.htm
Intresting. I will have to keep that one in mind... THANKS!

Originally Posted by off road dude
if you get the receiver installed be sure to hook up the trailer level. ive seen too many people with it way up in the air causing everything to shift behind the axle and lift up on the rear end of the truck. and others with the trailer really low causing it to bottom out when pulling into some parking lots. and if it is level it will make for a smoother ride.
Yep, it needs to be level also for proper wear on each axle. I have the single axle electric brakes as well and I was wondering if there is too much of an angle if one axle locks on hard braking? Probably on dirt/gravel roadways but maybe not on concrete. Then again I don't have to worry about that since it is gonna be level now that I know the hitch height with the new wheels.

Quick Reply: Is this a stock transmisison cooler ?