Factory tech seperator plate install???

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the instructions, I think before I tackle this I will invest in a factory repair manual for the trans.
thanks again

Old 03-17-2007, 02:25 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
i had a shop install the kit in my 2001 and the 1-2 shift gives wiplash and grabs rubber at any shift over 2500 RPMs. i'm gonna take it back but i need to know what spring i need to stick in the 1-2 accumulator to make it a bit more wife friendly if possible

Old 03-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tarajerame
i had a shop install the kit in my 2001 and the 1-2 shift gives wiplash and grabs rubber at any shift over 2500 RPMs. i'm gonna take it back but i need to know what spring i need to stick in the 1-2 accumulator to make it a bit more wife friendly if possible
Courtesy of Dirtyd0g:

"install the plate as normal, install the brown spring into the upper 1-2 accumulator and remove the spring from the 2-3 accumulator then install it into the lower of the 1-2 accumulator. "

Shifts beautifully. (Your guy probably left out the 1-2 spring entirely.)

Andy

Old 03-17-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dirtgood1
thanks for the instructions, I think before I tackle this I will invest in a factory repair manual for the trans.
thanks again
No problem, Dirt. And factory manual = good idea.
(Get a good in-lb reading torque wrench, too.)

Andy

Old 03-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Andy, could you send a set of instructions to dankirsch@surfbest.net when you have time?
THANKS,

Dan

Old 03-22-2007, 12:09 PM
thanks for the info you sent me. if i ever get my *******in kit i ordered 3 weeks ago, i will install it.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:26 PM

Three weeks?! I got mine in three days!

Andy

Old 03-22-2007, 09:20 PM
i called them last monday(not the week we are in), and they said that the guy that makes them is running a little behind. i give them til next monday before i dispute the charge on my cc. i dont hop on my truck often, but when i was pulling into traffic the other day, i experienced the "torque-reduction" programmed into the pcm, and it scared the crap out of me. one hell of a long dead spot. my tuner told me before that he can wipe that out via my xcal II, but to get the plate installed first.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:58 AM
Hi folks. I am new to this site and am glad I found this thread on the Factory Tech Seperator Plate. I have a 02 F150 and for years have gripped about how the soft the truck shifts. Abuot 1/4 of the miles I have on the truck are towing and as I get older I have accumulated more toys and of course my sled trailers have gotton larger.

I have looked in to tuners and programers but have heard more cons than pros and the more I learn on the separator plate the more I like the fact that I can make a mechanical change not an electronic change. Since the truck is towing on average 3-4000 pounds power has not been an issue, just getting up to speed has been due to poor shifting.

My truck is almost at 30,000 miles and it is time to change fluid and filter, so this is the ideal time to try this plate.

Can anyone send directions? From reading the posts I have not heard anything negative on this swap. Has anyone had any bad experiences? I have another 3 years on the ford warranty so being conservative is my desire.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

Old 04-08-2007, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by ChrisY

Can anyone send directions? From reading the posts I have not heard anything negative on this swap. Has anyone had any bad experiences? I have another 3 years on the ford warranty so being conservative is my desire.

Thanks for your time.

Chris
The directions are pretty simple.
Remove the valvebody.
Remove the 2-3 accumulator cap pull the spring out, lightly bend the tabs on the cap to hold it in place inverted and then remove the 1-2 accumulator with a pair of snap ring pliers. depending on which model, year, and engine you have you may have different spring combinations. Don't worry about that. Install the supplied brown spring back into the bore then put the piston in. Now put the leftover 2-3 spring up into the bore and put the cap on. then reinstall the snapring. That is likely to be the hardest part of the whole swap because you have to hold against spring pressure to install the cap. I use my thumb, but I have had alot of practice. Now scrape off all your old valvebody gaskets. Install the new gaskets and torque all bolts to 100inch lbs.
Alan

Old 04-08-2007, 11:33 AM
I have not done a sep plate but did replace the 1-2 accumulator piston , cover and springs in mine and found a trick for the re-install, I was able to hold the cover up against the springs with a large (I think 6") "C" clamp. Made the snap ring install easy as pie.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the insight. The next thing I need to get is a service manual. Are you guys buying the manual right from Ford or though the aftemarket (Advance Auto, Pep boys, Auton Zone etc)?

Chris

Old 07-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by OhioLariat
Instructions sent.

ALS

Anyway you could send me the instructions as well? I just bought the kit for my 98. jcsingle21@yahoo.com thanks alot!

Old 07-13-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
i started with my shift kit using the factory tech recomended install and the 1-2 upshift was too hard, dirtyd0g has a great shift recomended,

for anybody doing the install I would make sure I install the other springsjust like he recomends

Old 08-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Can one of yall email me the directions to smalltownspeed@hotmail.com? I just got my plate kit, and there is one page of directions, with 2 pictures, and it even tells you in the instructions to refer to picture #3.....

Quick Reply: Factory tech seperator plate install???