Bad torque converter

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bad torque converter

1994 F-150, 351, E4OD 2wd. What's happening is that in park, if you try to rev it, it's almost like your doing a brake torque, and then all of a sudden the truck lurches forward. Plus, it won't rev over 1500 Rpm. It feels JUST like a brake torque. Same thing in all gears, and there is no reverse. I bought this tranny used because I had the exact same problem with my old tranny, So I bought this one, with the used converter he had, and put it in. He said it was rebuilt about 20,000 Km ago. I thought maybe the linkage was out, so i took the linkage off at the tranny, and had a buddy jump in the truck. I put the linkage in every position by hand, and had him give it some gas. Kept doing that weird brake torquing thing, except when it was in drive, It would coast forward nicely. What the hell is going on here!

Old 04-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Pull your codes including the KOEO and KOER sets.

The transmission is electrically controlled and you may have a computer control problem or a MLPS sensor gone bad or misadjusted. If the MLPS is misadjusted, the computer will engage different solenoids at the wrong time.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 04-05-2006 at 08:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Bad torque converter