1998 4x4 v6 f150 transfer case question??

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 4x4 v6 f150 transfer case question??

Hey everyone. This is my first truck and first 4x4. I am curious where should my transfer case be when i am driving on the highway? I mean should it be in NUETRAL or should it be in 2HI? It has been in NEUTRAL since i got it in November, but i got to think and asked a few people and now i am not so sure it shouldn;t be in 2 HI. Thanks.
Bob

Old 02-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the world of 4x4!

I'll try to break it down for ya. Right after the tranny is the transfer case that directly controls the front and rear driveshafts.

In 2hi, power comes into the xfer case and goes straight out the back to the rear driveshaft with a 1 to 1 one ratio. This is the normal driving position.

Pulling into 4hi keeps that 1 to 1 ratio but also turns the front driveshaft as well by way of a chain. You should never use 4x4 on dry pavement as it will cause major binding and possible breakage during tight turns. Snow/mud/ect provide enough give for one wheel to "slip" to free one axle to move at it's slightly different speed than the other while turning.

Neutral seperates both driveshafts from the tranny and is used if you ever flat tow your truck on four wheels. No matter what gear your tranny is in the wheels are free to turn. IE: Park won't hold you if the transfer case is in neutral.

When you move to 4low both driveshafts are powered, but at a geared reduction through a planetary gearset with a 2ish to 1 ratio. So basicly you move the engines full horsepower and torque down to a low speed for when you really need it. Deep mud, snow, stuck, ect. To get to 4low, you should be stopped, clutch in (or neutral for a slushbox tranny), and the same to come out of low range.

Hope that helps.

Adrianspeeder

Old 02-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That def. helps. ty.

Thank you very much for the reply. So did i hurt anything by driving around with t-case in neutral like i did?? I have put in 2HI since tuesday, lol.
Thanks again
Bob

Old 02-02-2006, 03:04 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Bob,

There is something wrong with the shift linkage of your T-case or it has an internal problem. There is no power from the engine transmitted to the wheels when the t-case is in neutral.....

JMC

Old 02-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed, I think you brought this up before. I can guarantee that if you were in neutral, you would not be driving down the freeway.

-Joe

Quick Reply: 1998 4x4 v6 f150 transfer case question??