Clutch dust in trans fluid filter and pan.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch dust in trans fluid filter and pan.

Hi all,

This is my first post, so apologies if I do something inappropriate. Please point anything out, and understand it was not intentional.

This week I had the transmission fluid drained and the filter replaced (I always have the pan pulled off and filter replaced, I'm not a fan of the flush systems from a bad past experience, just my preference.) The mechanic showed me the filter afterwards, and there was a healthy coating of black clutch dust on the filter, he also indicated that there was the same coating on the inside of the pan as well.

This is likely the first time the fluid has been changed (the OEM dust plug was still in the pan.)

The vehicle details are:
  • 2001 F150 SC
  • 4.6L V8
  • 31700 miles (purchases with 15700 two years ago)

The vehicle is essentially a grocery getter, as I motorcycle most of the year. I also use it for hunting in Minnesota and Nebraska for a few weeks a year.

My question is, has anyone ever had the same experience with noticing significant dust after a fluid change? Should I be concerned? The only event I can think of that could have wore hard on the clutch is one time last winter when I got stuck on a muddy/icy road (with two young kids in the truck) and had to work the thing really hard to get free.

Thanks all! I have been enjoying all the threads. Great board!

-russ

Old 01-20-2006, 12:11 PM
A light coating of black dust in the pan would be expected after 30k miles. Especially the first 30k. Now if there was enough that you had to scrape it out, then you might have a problem.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
^^ I agree.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait a second.... I'm corn-fused.... are we talking an automatic trans with no clutch, or a manual trans with a clutch? If it's a manual, there should be no clutch material inside the trans. Additionally, there should be no need to change the trans fluid in a manual for at least 100,000 miles. The clutch sits in the bell-housing between the front of the trans and the flywheel. If it's an automatic, there's no clutch to generate any 'dust'....

Now, if you just mean that there's a thin film of black gunk, that's completely normal to see inside an automatic trans pan.

-Joe

edit... just thinking.... there's no pan or filter on a manual, is there? Therefore we must be talking about an automatic, in which case, there's no clutch...... right?

Last edited by GIJoeCam; 01-20-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I assumed he was talking about dust from the clutch packs in an automatic.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
Therefore we must be talking about an automatic, in which case, there's no clutch...... right?
Wrong.

This is a 4R70W, which has four clutches and two bands, which also can create "clutch dust."

Old 01-20-2006, 01:15 PM
I certainly should have included that it was an automatic. The mechanic did not indicate that he had to take any unusual steps to clean it out (i.e. spooning out the dust or anything.)

I wiped the filter off with my index finger and that was enough to remove the coating. Additionally, the fluid was still pinkish.

I will have to say I was pleasantly surprised to learn there was a drain plug on the torque converter as well on this transmission.

Thanks for all the great comments! I hope to be able to contribute in kind.

-russ

Trending Topics

Old 01-20-2006, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by casey_1
Wrong.

This is a 4R70W, which has four clutches and two bands, which also can create "clutch dust."

OK, so technically yeah, I'm with ya'.... When talking transmissions, I consider a clutch anything to do with the clutch on a manual, and a 'band' anything in an automatic.

No biggie....

Old 01-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some black residue in the pan is normal. As long as there aren't metal bits that can be felt by hand or brass bits in there, you'll be fine as frog's hair.

Quick Reply: Clutch dust in trans fluid filter and pan.