rear end rubbing noise and dreaded "clunk" noise when reversing

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear end rubbing noise and dreaded "clunk" noise when reversing

ok, heres my situation

97 F150 2WD 3.55LS truck. over the summer i had 285/70/17's installed on the truck up from the original 255/75/16's ( i think) most of the summer was ok until it started to get towards beginning of fall. then whenever i make slow left or right hand turns from a complete stop, or an extremely slow rolling stop/start, the truck seems to have a rubbing vibration that i feel is defintely coming from the rear of the truck. at first i thought it was just the tires, maybe just because they were big or something. but the problem still happens even now, not all the time but enough to wonder, is something wrong? the only way to describe it really is a vibration when making turns at slow speeds. i was thinking maybe my gears or something have a problem, but i have no idea.

the second problem i have is again, every once in a while, if i put the truck in reverse, and give it a little more gas than one normally would backing into a spot, the truck makes a loud clunk noise as if somthing were in the bed of the truck, and slamming back against the cab end of the truck bed. the only thing is nothing is ever in the truck bed when this happens, so again, i'm lost.

if anybody has any ideas, i greatly appreciate the help and input. just looking for some ideas so i can more accurately describe the potential problem to a mechanic. thanks again for the help, and HAPPY holidays!

John

Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 PM
How many miles does your truck have, I would change the u joints on the drive axle. U joints have tendency to make noise in reverse, that is usually a sign. Might change those and noise will go away , better than losing your drive axle going down the road.

Old 12-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Try The Slip Yoke Its So Common And Wil Cause That To Happen

Old 12-22-2005, 03:34 AM
if the oil in the rear end has never been changed it might be time. the limited slip diff requires friction modifier to work right or both wheels will lock up around turns which is what it sounds like it's trying to do. the oil might be old and burnt up or maybe even low or it could also have water in it.

you have a choice:
-ford's 75w140 synthetic at about $25 a litre for the three litres the rear end takes plus about $10 for a bottle of friction modifier
-redline or royal purple 75w140 synthetic that is about $10/litre and doesn't require friction modifier if you get the right kind for a limited slip diff.

Old 12-22-2005, 03:30 PM
I have the same noise (only at low speeds) and I ordered some Redline oil from Summit.com

I will keep you guys posted if it goes away.

Quick Reply: rear end rubbing noise and dreaded "clunk" noise when reversing