Manual Transmission queston

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Transmission queston

I have a 95 F150, about 186,000 miles. Clutch replaced less than 2 years ago. About 10 – 12 months ago was having trouble shifting into gear. Clutch had to be pressed all the way to the floor to disengage. Had the transmission serviced and bled. Was told that I may have to have master cylinder replaced. Same thing is happening again, but being that it is Christmas time, don’t really have that kind of dough laying around. Can I add fluid to the transmission? Where do I add fluid? What kind of fluid? Just looking for a band-aid solution to buy me a month or two.

Thanks

Old 12-02-2005, 06:42 PM
On my 99 there is a little plastic resevoir screwed to my fire wall, near the mastercylinder. It taked dot 3 break fluid. if there is air in the line then you will have to bleed the system.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Yes, the hydraulic clutch uses regular brake fluid. The reservoir is mounted next to the brake master cylinder. If the it is bad ti's a simple swap. No idea how much it costs to replace but it can't too much.
If you pump the peddle a couple time before shifting, is it easier?
If so, then the clutch master cylinder is bad.
Bleeding the system is a two person job. Just be sure to keep the fluid topped off.

Quick Reply: Manual Transmission queston