GA. Dealer sucks 4R70W headaches

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GA. Dealer sucks 4R70W headaches

140K, 99 F150, 2wd, 4.2 with a 4R70W. Tranny started slipping so I broke down and bought a "Ford" reman from dealer.
Pick up new trans and noticed that the pan was leaking, parts people said that is just residue from installation.
Gave them $1600.00 cash (not a check but green cash) drove home and unloaded it and noticed that there numerous areas with sludge that had been painted over.
I took some clean paper towels and wiped up all of the visible fluid around the pan.
I leaned the transmission to the one side that was leaking and waited a few minutes.
Sure as crap the thing is leaking!
The next morning there is a considerable amount of fluid on the floor.
I haul the bag of crap back to the dealership and request a refund.
They want me to wait for 10 days for a check, I made a scene and 20 minutes later I had a check in my hands.
Anybody had any problems with a "Ford" reman? I assume that these are done by a third party, but I am not sure.
I am going to another dealership tomorrow that is cheaper that the first.
I am going to scrutinize the second tranny, but I am a little gun shy about buying a second one.
Anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance

Old 11-22-2005, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure what you bought but it wasn't a "New" Ford Remanufactured tranny that is for sure. A few years back Ford authorized remans were done by Fred Jones manufacturing. I'm not sure if they use Fred Jones anymore or not.

I used to work for a Ford dealership parts department and I have seen many of the remans. Sounds like what you have is a transmission that was installed then pulled again and was trying to be resold as new.

I would give Ford a call about that particular dealership. Sounds a little fishy to me.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Hmm, sounds all to familiar, which ga dealer?

Quick Reply: GA. Dealer sucks 4R70W headaches