Ford E4OD Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford E4OD Transmission

I recently bought a 1990 Ford F-150XL from a friend of mine. The truck has the 4.9l I6 engine and the E4OD transmission. I have heard some bad reports about that particular transmission, especially the earlier made ones. I think that my truck may have set some sort of record for mileage on that transmission. While the engine was rebuilt around 250,000 miles ago, the transmission has never been rebuilt or serviced. The transmission now has well over 400,000 miles on it and it is still doing pretty good. All that I need to do is add about a quarter of a quart of transmission fluid every month or so and the old transmission performs fine. When I first got the truck it would stall out in reverse, but I quickly found that the only reason that it did that was because the transmission fluid was quite low. The only way that you can even tell that the transmission is getting worn out is because it will sometimes slam into reverse and when it downshifts it will sometimes slam hard, but it up-shifts pretty good. I think that if I keep adding fluid regularly, the transmission should last me for quite a while. Well tell me what you think of my miracle transmission.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:59 AM
Where is the fluid going?????

Old 08-09-2005, 08:30 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The E4OD is a pretty tough tranny actually. But I want to know where the fluid is going?

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Miracle transmission???

400,000 miles and it has never been serviced?? i say bull#$%^ !!!

Old 08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
I think your "miracle" transmission is going to lay down and leave you stranded, now that you have gone bragging about it!

Old 08-09-2005, 09:16 PM
I believe that the fluid slowly leaks around the transmission oil pan seal. I never actually see the fluid leak out when the truck is idling, but after I have driven the truck for a few miles the transmission oil pan looks a little moist, I think all that I would need to do is replace the gasket, but its really not worth it. And no, the transmission has never ever been rebuilt or serviced. Oh, by the way, I only paid 20 dollars for the truck, so I don't really expect to much out of it!! When I bought the thing the engine was so full of sludge from not having had the oil changed in so long that it wasn't even funny, and half of the air filter was rusted and covered in some sort of slime!! Yes, I did change the oil and air filter, but I still am not expecting, nor do I need the truck to last me much longer. And even if the tranny goes, I never drive it more that 10 miles away from my home, so I wouldn't have to walk to far.LOL. But still I like the truck and it runs surprisingly good, I have faith that it won't leave me stranded any time soon, and I don't beat on it too bad either, so I think it will still last quite a while.

Last edited by david_aaron236; 08-09-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:29 PM
Suspended
David....Service your Transmison...No Transmison can go Four Hundred thousand miles on the same fluid/filter...one tow job when you least expect will prove it's worth it...One seal packs it in, your toasted and Yout truck will stink.....and you will prove....you know.

Trending Topics

Old 08-12-2005, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by cyclone vampire
David....Service your Transmison...No Transmison can go Four Hundred thousand miles on the same fluid/filter...one tow job when you least expect will prove it's worth it...One seal packs it in, your toasted and Yout truck will stink.....and you will prove....you know.
There is NO way you should service your trans at this point. The new detergents would destroy whatever is left of your trans. It alittle to late for that.

Old 08-12-2005, 11:56 PM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Naa, if it will go from a fluid flush, it will go anyway. Might as well give it a shot.

Adrianspeeder

Old 08-15-2005, 06:16 PM
My wifes uncle sold his 93 F150 with the E4OD at 280,000 miles and never touched it, so 400,000 doesn't seem far fetched.

Quick Reply: Ford E4OD Transmission