how to tell if U joints are bad ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to tell if U joints are bad ??

My '93 is doing some weird things at the moment. Its bucking, shuddering, and shaking...... much worse when towing my trailer and 4wheeler. I have the AOD tranny with the overdrive on the lever. Its weird because at certain speeds, it drives nice?!?

I have read alot of forum chat here and most say U-Joints. I grabbed the driveshaft and looked for play, but didnt see or feel any. Could there be another way to see if they are bad? If not, what else could it be?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-18-2005, 08:56 PM
You can't always tell u joints are bad by just tugging on the driveshaft. There is usually some load on it which unless they are really bad will take up the slack and you won't feel it. Most of the time if the ujoints are bad they will start by making noise and then ussually when they get really bad you will get a vibration.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:03 PM
Thx trucker!

Maybe i will just swap them out. I doubt they can be that expensive at AutoZone.
Whats the easiest way to do it? I've heard some people just taking the entire driveshaft out .......then down to AZ or PepBoys, etc... and having them swap them out.

Are there any special pressing tools or something similar needed to install/remove U-Joints?

Quick Reply: how to tell if U joints are bad ??