Lucas Tranny Additive

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lucas Tranny Additive

Is this stuff okay to use in the 97 models to 03 F150's with the 5.4 v8s? Would you folks use it or not? All my friends and everyone else says that all the lucas additives are good to use. I'm about to get my tranny flushed and would likt to know if adding this stuff would be a good idea. And what about the oil additive, would it be wise to use this or not? I haven't used any of the products, so I would like to hear from yall to know what to do. People that own F150 can only trust people who too own F150, take care yall.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:48 PM
I wouldn't use it. Mercon V only don't go messing with the viscosity lockup shudders will surely result.
Alan

Old 06-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Those products are fine for there intended use but unless you have a reason to use it, there is no benifit on an otherwise good operating transmission.
If you take notice, Mercon V is used in 85 and later Ford transmissions then not all models.
The formulation is specific to these transmissions so putting any additive in can upset the friction lockup of the clutches and band types that are used in those transmssions.
If you are at all concerned about life then only consider a blend or full syn Mercon V rated fluids.
The benifit to these are ability to handle higher temps before breakdown begins.
This is handled by changing fluid more often, in all cases.
I reccomend taking some time in several stores to look at the labels on the various fluids and see what the rating are and spec to mfg reccomendations, then a lot of questions are answered and a good education is found.
You can bank on a label that says Ford spec compatible for Mercon V.
The well known companies cannot afford to market a product that would cause loss of transmssions proven to the use of there product.
If anyone does things like using straight Mercon, Dextron, type F, or AT3 in an application the calls for Mercon V and has a problem afterwards: they derserve it.
Fluids like B-M Trick shift and the Hurst fluids are a no-no in these transmissions for normal use.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 06-13-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:41 AM
Hey thanks dude I appreciate it.

Old 07-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Not to sound dumb but what are the lockup shudders?

Quick Reply: Lucas Tranny Additive