Intermittent Trans Slipping...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Trans Slipping...

Hi everyone,

Just found the solution to one problem with my truck, now am having a transmission problem. This happened today, backed out of my driveway just fine, put into drive, the tranny would not shift out of 1st. Made it down the street, turned around, came home. Also noticed both a speedometer and tachometer fluctuation - speedometer randomly jumping from 5-100, intermittent tach jumps. Checked the fluid level, was low, added about a half quart of fluid.

Tried driving again. Seemed to work okay for a while. Adding the fluid earlier seemed to help, but the same symptoms reoccurred later in the afternoon.

Do these symptoms sound like anything in particular? Tranny hasn't been serviced in a while, likely time for it.

If anyone has any comments or suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Gabriel

Old 06-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Try resetting the computer

Old 06-12-2005, 01:05 AM
I suspect a speed sensor problem.
Alan

Old 06-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Questions:

Will a computer needing reset have anything to do with the speed sensor?

What does resetting the computer involve?

To what extent would replacing a speed sensor entail? Would this be part of another module or sub-system?

I am not privy to this type of problem, hopefully my questions are not silly. I appreciate you all letting me pick your brains....

Thanks,
Gabriel

Old 06-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Just about anyone (after they've been informed of course) can replace a vehicle speed sensor. Just a bolt or two and disconnecting an electrical connector. Reinsert new one and your off and running. As far as resetting your computer, If no scan tool is available, try disconnecting your negative terminal and let it sit overnight. The time to completely discharge any capacitors used for back-up power/memory loss prevention may take a little longer depending on vehicle. Yes, you will have to reset time, radio, etc.,. But, that's the cheap way out. Some parts stores offer a free service for scan tools although most are for the federally mandated OBD-II emission related stuff. Never hurts to ask though does it?
Good luck,
arkie150

Old 06-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Update

Hey everybody,

After this past weekend, I've come to find pooling of tranny fluid underneath the truck. Doesn't seem to be coming from any one particular spot, is difficult to tell where it's coming from. The gear transitioning form 1st to 2nd, and from 2nd to 3d is still hit and miss - does not want to shift into 2nd, and when it does, it does not want to shift into 3d. Reverse is fine though.

Recap:

Started not shifting properly on Saturday - added Gunk and 1/2 qt of fluid. Seemed to help, but repeated symptoms later in the day. Added some Lucas additive, seemed to help, but symptoms reoccurred the following day.

Monday - fluid accumulating under truck, cannot tell from where on the transmission it is leaking from.

Have not checked with ODBII yet, have friend who owns one, this weekend we'll check it out.

If anyone has any thoughts on what might or might not be happening, I'd love to hear them.

Many Thanks to All,
Gabriel

Quick Reply: Intermittent Trans Slipping...