Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confussed

I am confussed.....

Here is what I have:
2000 Expedition 4x4 XLT w/tow package
5.4L
4R100 Transmission
B&M Transmission Temperature gauge

I just installed a new TruCool transmission cooler (# LPD4589 Truck & heavy duty to 24,500 GVW ) in place of my stock (tow package) cooler. I installed the TruCool cooler up in the air stream in front of the air conditioner condenser (small radiator in front of regular radiator). I did not like the location of the stock tow package cooler. I wanted a more heavy duty cooler to help cool the transmission when I tow our 27 foot travel trailer. My trans. temp. gauge was reading a steady 200 degrees with the stock tow package cooler when I was towing.

Now that I have the new bigger TruCool cooler installed - I was driving the Exped. today on the highway going about 70 in 91 degree outside temperature, and noticed the trans temp gauge reading 190 degrees WITHOUT towing the camper.

I am confussed as to why the new cooler is not cooling the fluid to below 180 degrees?..? If I have a bigger cooler and moved it to an active airflow location it should cool....right?

Any suggestions?

Does the cooler need to be bled? When I installed it, I just connected it up as shown on the diagram and checked the fluid level when I was done. Do I need to bleed it to get the air out of the new cooler?

Could it be a gauge problem? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 06-07-2005, 01:23 AM
Thats a pretty decent cooler. I generally use those as accessory coolers on cars, small trucks, and vans where space is limited. I believe that cooler is made for 5/16 flow and your 4r100 should have 3/8 lines meaning you are restricting the flow. If you are going to tow get one of these. Link
Alan

Last edited by dirtyd0g; 06-07-2005 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the reply dirtyd0g!

I spoke with the technical service guy at the place I bought the cooler. He told me Tru-Cool fittings and supplied lines are for 3/8 inch transmission lines. He said the cooler can handle lines up to 1/2 inch before you get a restriction.

When I installed the rubber line, I measured the i.d. of the supplied lines and they measured 3/8. Tech services said the lines supplies are 11/32. He said the since Tru-Cool is an OE supplier to Ford and Chevy they use the same size as the manufacturer.

I think I am starting to suspect the gauge..... Has anyone had problems with a B&M Trans temp gauge?

still confused !

Jeff

Quick Reply: Confussed