'98 F150 4.6/Tranny Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 F150 4.6/Tranny Oil Change

Hey guys.. recently bought a 98 F150.. I'm a dodge/jeep person and love this truck but its not as good as a dodge.

Anyways. Going to change out the tranny fluid with Mercon V. Is there a trick to emptying the fluid from the torque converter so I can change out all of the fluid?

Old 05-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yours should have a drain plug in the torque converter, but I always use THIS method. It changes more of the fluid because it gets what is in the passages, clutches, etc, too. It is really easy to do.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bcshepard,
No real trick to removing the oil from the converter. Time is the only thing you will need. About 2 1/2 hours total. Remove pan and remove old filter. Make sure converter is on the bottom side so it can drain. Remove the plug and let it drain. The converter will take some time to drain.
Replace filter and pan then put 8 quarts of trans fluid into the pan. Start truck and let it "IDLE ONLY" for about 30 seconds. Shut down and install another 3 or 4 quarts then restart the truck again. Run the shifter thru all the gears and make sure it catches in each gear. Warm up the truck/trans by taking a small trip. Recheck levels and top off as needed.

Ps: If you find a plastic plug inside the pan when you remove it, just throw it away. They put it in the fill hole when the trans is put together at the factory. When they install the fill tube they just push the plug into the pan.

Quick Reply: '98 F150 4.6/Tranny Oil Change