overdrive button blinking

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overdrive button blinking

stopped today to pick up boat had just got through doing some running around 80-100 miles worth when got boat and pulled out noticed my overdrive light was blinking thought was weird pushed it heard a little noise so i pushed it again which was out of od.made a bad clank like a hard shift went little further tried again same response so looked at booked said call dealer so did said prob torq conv.got home 35 miles turned off truck dropped boat started trk pulled in garage light working fine didn't want to run after dark in case problems any help out there maybe to help save $$$$ on labor prices

Old 05-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Re: overdrive button blinking

Originally posted by ezmuny13
stopped today to pick up boat had just got through doing some running around 80-100 miles worth when got boat and pulled out noticed my overdrive light was blinking thought was weird pushed it heard a little noise so i pushed it again which was out of od.made a bad clank like a hard shift went little further tried again same response so looked at booked said call dealer so did said prob torq conv.got home 35 miles turned off truck dropped boat started trk pulled in garage light working fine didn't want to run after dark in case problems any help out there maybe to help save $$$$ on labor prices

I just went through a similar thing with my 2002 Ranger (75,000 miles). Transmission made some weird shifts followed by a major "clunk" into the overdrive and the trans light started flashing. After restarting the engine, no more light. I drove pretty cautiously for several days after but in 7,000 more miles and some boat towing, it seems to be just fine.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:58 AM
thanks makes feel me feel a little better still like to see some more responses

Old 05-06-2005, 08:17 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Many sensors on the trans.
I once had a Blinking OD driving down a dirt road.
I shutdown when I got to pavement, restarted and the blinking stopped.

More than likely it was a sensor rather than the trans itself.
Don't ignore it if it reoccurs get it diagnosed.

Sensor = ($89 + $90 labor)

Ignore Sensor induced blinking OD = Trans = ($2,000)

Old 05-06-2005, 08:27 AM
thanks

Old 05-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my diesel dump did that twice since i've owned it...i do the same thing...pull over shut it off count to 10 and no more blinking lite!...but did you notice if your speedometer was working when the light is blinking?..mine was at zero.. works just fine if the light is not blinking..but all's well anyhow...zap!

Old 05-07-2005, 10:02 AM
contacted local ford dealer this morning told him what my problem was.told me to unhook my battery for 20-30mins said should reset my computer well did that and have drove it for about 60 miles now no blinking light no hard shifts hopefully this fixed this,also building up to this i noticed when i started my trk my gauges would run all the way to the high side then back to the bottom then to normal..

thanks for the imput

Old 06-03-2005, 04:44 PM
The flashing O/D light is the "Check Engine" indication for the transmission. It means the OBD system determined something happened that shouldn't have, and will usually store a code. I went through this about a year ago with my '99 F-150. One of the guys here said "run, don't walk" to the Dealership. Mine turned out to be a broken accumulator spring.

You'll notice the trans shifts hard when the O/D light is blinking. The is because when the OBD activates the light, it also reprograms the pumps and actuators to operate a a much higher pressure to ensure shifting; sort of a "come home" mode. Operating in this mode for an extended period of time will destroy the transmission.

Resetting the OBD can work, but usually only temporarily.

Good Luck!

Old 07-01-2005, 04:56 PM
I have the same blinking OD light. It happens when I go over 60MPH and stays blinking until I shut the engine off , then it stays off until I go over 60.
Took my 1998 e350 5.4l van into DR Nick's Transmission. He read the error code as slippage in 4th gear. He say's if I continue driving it I WILL do more damage and it will cost more to fix later.
The estimate was $1000.00 for labor to take out the tranny and rip it open.
Plus the cost of the parts. That wasn't a real good estimate.
He opened it up and said the pump was bad and it would cost $1500.00 for the job. But he said since it is this far apart I should get it rebuilt with a 12000mi /1 year warranty for $2000.00 + tax if I was planing on keep the van.
So I am having it rebuilt for a total of $2172.50 OUCH!

Old 07-01-2005, 09:52 PM
o d light blinking when i was on highway

my od light was blinking when i was on a highway going about 70mph got to where i was going and shut off the truck and it didnt come again when i drove home what should i do 1998f150 4.6 scab

Quick Reply: overdrive button blinking