Transmission Shudder/Clunk while towing

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Shudder/Clunk while towing

I have a 2001 SCrew 5.4L with 42K miles. I have had no transmission problems since new. I just recently bought a buggy (about 2500lbs, flatbed trailer) and while towing it up some grades the tranny began shifting strange. When I started heading uphill (in 4th) and when it would normally downshift into 3rd, there would be a bad shudder for a few seconds and then it would clunk into 2nd, then shift up into 3rd. I tried driving with the OD both on and off, as well as trying different throttle positions (floored, letting off the throttle as I started up hill, etc). Nothing would work and it would do this every time I headed up hill. Speed was 50-60 mph. I have never had this happen before, and have tried to duplicate the problem without the trailer but can not.

I took it into the dealer and was told this was normal.....

Does anyone know what this could be? I had my fluid changed at 30K and I have checked the level, I know the conditioner was put in. In searching the boards it sounds like maybe one of the accumulators???

Thanks!!!!

Old 02-04-2005, 04:26 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
It's difficult to say just what is happening. It could be involved with the fluid change, type of fluid used or a marginal transmission problem that only shows up with an extra load.
A good trans shop should be able to pin it down given some time.
I have looked on the Sonnax website and they give a lot of info on various problems that the average owner never knows about on how to trouble shoot.
I'm not surprised that a dealer dosn't want or dosn't have enough expertise to run this down.
In any event don't try to use OD to much in an 'excessive' shifting situation while pulling a trailer.
In any event be prepared to spend a little money getting a solution to it.

Extra info: There can be a problem with how the PCM handles the shifting that would be load sensitive.
Sometimes reprogramming may solve it.
There is a company that offers a shift modifying board to add to the trans to help this situation.
Apparently is is a know problem with some transmission/PCM combinations.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 02-06-2005 at 09:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Shudder/Clunk while towing