Replacing clutch slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing clutch slave cylinder

How difficult is changing the clutch slave cylinder? I have a 2002 F150 V-6 5-spd and it appears the slave cylinder is leaking at 40,000 miles. Does a Haynes manual describe this repair adequately? Any special tools required? I added fluid about a week ago and need to add more today so I assume I'll have to change the cylinder soon (if not sooner).

Old 12-15-2004, 05:23 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Re: Replacing clutch slave cylinder

Originally posted by debobill
How difficult is changing the clutch slave cylinder? I have a 2002 F150 V-6 5-spd and it appears the slave cylinder is leaking at 40,000 miles. Does a Haynes manual describe this repair adequately? Any special tools required? I added fluid about a week ago and need to add more today so I assume I'll have to change the cylinder soon (if not sooner).

You have to drop the tranny but no special tools

Old 12-18-2004, 03:12 AM
there is a tool for disconnecting the hydraulic line but i beleive the repair manuals show an alternate method that also works. it is a cheap tool but might be hard to find if you dont have access to a tool truck.

Old 12-19-2004, 03:14 AM
depends on what type of slave cylinder you have

ive done two clutches on a ford ranger and a F150. As far as special tools go, the only one i believe is that one tool to disconnect the hydrolic line, but if you know what your doing you can do it with a pair of flat head screwdrivers. (not the brightest of ideas if you dont have an idea of what your doing) the main deal is if you have a concentric slave cylinder or not(meaning it's inside the bell housing mounted over the tranny input shaft.) if it is, have fun because youll have to drop your tranny and transfer case(if 4x4). pretty much do what youll do in a clutch job. and since you have it all apart, it would be a good idea to do a clutch job while your at it. if you have any questions ask me, ill try to help...

Quick Reply: Replacing clutch slave cylinder