Tranny Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny Question

My transmission code on my truck (02 F-150 4X4 FX4 Supercrew) shows that I have a 4R70W tranny but I have no plug on my torque converter to drain it. I thought this tranny was suppose to have that plug from what I've read.

How do I completely drain the tranny at my 60,000 maintenance without this plug?

Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to do this?

I also plan on adding an aftermarket plug to the pan as well.

Your assistance is appreciated!

Old 09-11-2004, 02:33 PM
If I recall correctly from reading other threads that Ford stopped putting drain plugs on the T/Cs a while back. Most places hook a flush machine up to the cooler lines and suck all the old stuff out while spitting new stuff back in. If you are planning on doin this on your own I would sugjest getting two really big buckets, pour clean fluid in one, and leave the other empty. After you drain the stuff in the pan and put on a new filter, and replace the pan, take the lines off of the tranny cooler put the return line in the clean fluid and the output line in the empty bucket. Start the truck and let the tranny do it's thing until you have clean fluid coming out of the return line. Turn the truck off, hook the cooler lines back up and make sure you have the right amount of fluid in t the tranny.

Old 09-11-2004, 07:30 PM
I don't recommend installing a drain plug in your converter yourself unless you are experienced with this kind of work.
It is very easy to ruin one. If you really want to do it you will need. A slow speed air drill,3/8 24 npt tap,drill bit to match(I'm not sure the exact size I have some special bits that drill and tap all at once), And a plug.
Drill it in the vehicle full of fluid. You want to locate the plug evenly
between studs. It needs to be approximately 1&3/8 inches from the tip of the mounting lug where it bolts to the flexplate.
Alan

Old 09-11-2004, 09:27 PM
I'm going to install a plug for the pan. Just wanted to know how to drain all the fluid and how to locate which hoses to disconnnect. Any other detailed advice on the draining process?

Old 09-11-2004, 10:05 PM
The cooler lines are on the passenger side of the trans. On 4r70w the top line is return. On e4od/4r100 transmissions the rear line is return. That's all I can think of.

Alan

Old 09-13-2004, 08:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 95_5.8_4x4_XLT
take the lines off of the tranny cooler put the return line in the clean fluid and the output line in the empty bucket. Start the truck and let the tranny do it's thing until you have clean fluid coming out of the return line. Turn the truck off, hook the cooler lines back up and make sure you have the right amount of fluid in t the tranny.
The problem with this is that the transmission won't suck the new fluid in.

Try this method to change the fluid:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/...hangingatf.php

Quick Reply: Tranny Question