1986 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 07:00 PM
rmd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 transmission problems

My husband decided to change the transmission fluid on a truck we bought a few months ago. The truck is a 1986 Ford F150 V8 302 automatic transmissin with overdrive. He said he had to jack up the rear end of the transmission, so he could get to the transmission oil pan bolts. Filter, gasket, fluid were replaced. After doing that it will only drive in first and reverse.

My husbands admits to not knowing anything about transmissions, still he took the transmission out, after this problems started, took the transmission apart, cleaned all he could, put it all back together, put it back in the truck, and it still does the same thing. Will only drive in 1st and reverse.
Does anyone have any ideas on what could have happened.

Old 08-26-2004, 09:26 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Wow what blind energy he has.
How about telling him to spend some of it in a book about the transmissions before he does any more and you get a worn out husband. Can't have that!
I would bet the shift linkage got bent or some mechanical fault on the outside has gone undetected if the trans shifted ok before it was initally worked on.

The transmission is known as an AOD.
There are other types that look simular in designation so don't confuse the types.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 08-26-2004 at 09:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 1986 transmission problems