Transmission Shudder???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Shudder???

Hey All,

I have posted a thread under "engines about a weird thing that my truck is doing. Someone suggested I look under transmission shudder stating that may be the problem. Anyway i was wondering, from all that I have read, it seems that a shudder pertains to an auto tranny....is this true or can a manual (Which is what I have) tranny shudder? Please help. Thanks all...

Old 08-02-2004, 09:18 AM
never heard of a manual tranny shudder . Can you describe the problem in more detail?

Old 08-02-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 01SILVERGT
never heard of a manual tranny shudder . Can you describe the problem in more detail?

01SILVERGT,

Thanks for the reply....Here is what is going on. This is a copy and Paste from my original posts in "Engines" thanks.

(First Post)
97 F150 with a 4.2 Liter. 121,000 Miles. Sometimes when I accelerate, the truck will kind of "buck." Sometimes only once and sometimes maybe 2 to 3 times in a row. not sure what a miss feels like but maybe this is it. I also seem to have a loss of power at times. It was hooked to a computer diagnostic and found no Trouble codes. I changed the fuel filter and dumped a $9 bottle of injector cleaner into it and it is still the exact same. The plugs were changed about 20,000 ago. The problem does nto seem to be getting worse or better. Maybe someone out there can give me some suggestions??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(2ND Post, More Info Added)
it just seems that it is more when I am driving, usually when I accelerate from a stop. it also does it sometimes if I am going down the highway and slow down then accelerate again. Like if I am doing 65MPH in 5TH Gear and slow down to 55, then once I put my foot into it to kick back up my speed it will buck once or twice. All I know is it is driving me nuts. I have even had it into the dealer and of course when they drove it, nothing happened....Anyway thanks for your guy's help. Let me know

So 01SILVERGT (Or anyone else that may have an idea)
this is basicall what it is doing. I am off in a few minutes to get new plugs and wires.....I am hoping that it is the wires seeing how they have never been changed and i have 122,000 on the truck....So I will let you guys know....If I change out the plugs and All goes well, I will let you guys know.....Thanks Again

Old 08-02-2004, 12:47 PM
Ok I am thinking WAY back on this one but if I remember correctly when my Toyota Corolla's cluth went out it did a bit of bucking before hand. It was as if you were not giving it enough gas, so it bucked a bit like that? But I really remember that when you gave it gas it felt as if you were loosing power, it would not go. Have you thought about it maybe needing a new clutch? Or what about replacing the tranny fluid, its pretty easy on manuals from what I remember and does not cost too much. I would start off with the simple easy, CHEAP stuff first and eliminate those one by one till you fix the problem. Unless some one else here has had the same problem as you.

Also it might be worth taking it to a dealer or tranny shop and let them see.

Oh well not sure, not much help, but I would try the simple fixes first to eliminate the problem.

Old 08-03-2004, 12:41 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED

Well I went over to the Auto Part Sore today and I bought a set of Bosch Platinum Plugs and I Bought a set of Bosch plug wires. Well changed it all out and went and drove the truck for over an Hour, and guess what?? Problem Gone.....Finally..I am assuming it was the wires, I found a few spots on a few of the old ones that were soft and kind of "Bubbled' it was weird. Anyway I got it fixed.....Thanks to everyone that helped....

Quick Reply: Transmission Shudder???