Transmission heat shield & inspection plate

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission heat shield & inspection plate

Just wondering...

Does anyone have any vibration/noise coming from the metal inspection plate that covers the lower portion of the bell housing? I have a slight buzzing noise at constant throttle (mainly on the highway/interstate). On my old '00 F-350 diesel I had put a bead of RTV on the plate to provide an absorption layer (not to seal the plate to the tranny though). It seemed to help or at least eliminate a possibilty. The bolts are tight but I can use my thumb to move the lower center part easily. Maybe time to get the RTV after this one too.

And a heads up...

I was under the truck this past weekend installing a Hellwig anti-sway bar on the rear axle and decided to check out the rest of the underside of the truck. I found that the large heat shield over the transmission was only secured by one plastic fastener (the one in the center at the rear of the tranny). I installed two more, one on each side where there were pre-fabbed holes in both the cover and the body of the truck. Apparently, some slacker at the assembly plant didn't put the other two in. It seems to have dampened some of the flutter that was happening under the truck. I also found that the front part of this heat shield is loose so I am looking for more fastener points in addition to the two that are on the outer most areas (one on each side).

Happy truckin'

Quick Reply: Transmission heat shield & inspection plate