Can I get a transmission too Cool???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I get a transmission too Cool???

I am looking to add a transmission cooler to my '00 F150 with 4.6L engine. I really don't know too much about cooling the transmission, so I thought I would ask a few questions. The first and most obvious is can I get the transmission too cool. What I mean is that in the middle of winter with no towing and a big cooler, can you actually cause damage to the transmission by making the fluid too viscous?

I would also like an suggestions on cooler manufacturers. Are all created equal?

Old 05-23-2004, 06:33 PM
I've seen this ? before, don't remember the replies. A search might find the answer for you. IMO the answer is no. I've never seen a mfg. recomendation that you let your truck warm up before putting it in gear. I've got a large cooler on mine and it is a little slow to shift when its freezing out for the first couple of miles. I've seen post relating the benefits of different coolers over other coolers, I'm pretty sure that any cooler that is rated above what your expected GVW is good to go.

Old 05-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The only thing I have read is that the tranmission takes longer to upshift when it is cool (like in the winter) but I really think it is a non-issue.

A cooler running transmission is reported to extend transmission life.

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/tra...expectancy.htm

Old 05-26-2004, 10:31 PM
I believe a transmission is designed to operate at a particular temperature. Somewhere past the boiling point of water. That's why you can actually cool the fluid using the return tank of a vehicle's radiator.

Whatever you do, don't bypass the cooler in the radiator tank.

By all means install a cooler that's sized for your truck and tranny. Larger isn't always better in this particular case.

Quick Reply: Can I get a transmission too Cool???