Derale cooler fan on switch?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Derale cooler fan on switch?

Howdy all, I just got my trans cooler from Troyer and I'm going to have a local specialty shop put it in for me as well as auto meter temp gauges, and amsoil in the trans. They put alot of them on for people that tow and they recomend wiring the fan to a toggle switch since I have a gauge. That way I can control the cooler fan myself rather than let the in line thermostat do it. I kinda like the idea, but thought I would ask opinions. What do you think? Good idea or not?

Also, and this is kinda cool, they said If I wanted they would install the tow/perf program from a 1715 micro tuner and let me try it. Then if I didn't want it they would put my stock program back. You see, they don't get many 150's. They mostly upgrade the bigger trucks for towing, and they want to see how my engine reacts towing my trailer with the program. I was thinking of buying one anyway so it will be a good chance to test it out. If I want one, I'll call Mike though, cause I think his price will be better and they're great folks. Anyway, let me know what you think. Thanks, Carl

Old 02-12-2004, 09:35 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a manual tranny so i don't have to worry much about the tranny temp. Chipped gears are more of a problem.

Anyway, if you keep an eye on the tranny temp then having a manual switch is OK. The idea behind having a thermostat turn it on is to releive you of the responsibility of turning it on yourself. It will be a new guage and it will be something to add to your sweep of the guages while driving. The best of both worlds would to have both. Install the switch as a backup. I would suggest using a lighted toggle switch mounted by the guage so you can see the light is on indicating fan on. As a safty feature I would also suggest it be connected to a hot in run only circuit. This will keep it from draining the battery if it is left on.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Derale cooler fan on switch?