"Shift on the fly"........or not??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 08:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Shift on the fly"........or not??

I have a 97 f-150 xl stepside 4x4 with the transfercase shift on the floor. I have had the truck for a couple of years now and have always shifted the transfercase from 2h to 4h and vise versa when the truck has been stopped. I am now in the process of selling the truck and was told by the interested customer that you can shift the 4x4 gears on the fly up to 80km/hr. I tried it at about 20km/hr....going from 2h to 4h and it grinded & clunked before going into the 4h ratio. Whats up????
So I called 2 dealerships and was told that you can not do this with trucks that have the gearshift on the floor. Then I was told by 2 transmission shops that it is a "shift on the fly" opereation and that the owner of the 1 transmission shops has the same truck as mine and his shifts on the fly.

Is there anybody out there with the right answer??????????

Help me out guys/gals.

Thanx, D
Is there any

Old 01-15-2004, 03:38 AM
I also have the manual transfer case. I've never had a problem engaging on the fly, but I always make sure I'm off the throttle when I do it.

Old 01-15-2004, 07:07 AM
shift on the fly

The ONLY ones that are designed for shift on the fly have pushbuttons or *****, NO floor shifter.

Old 01-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every Ford 4x4 I have had (6 of of them) has been shift on the fly, whether electronic or manual. per the owners manual this can be done up to 55 mph. This assumes that if you have manual locking hubs (older models) they are already locked.
My first 4x4 was an 83 and my current is an 04. All have been shift on the fly, except for to 4L.

Old 01-15-2004, 08:01 AM
One thing I forgot to mention. In my experience with the manual shifter I found that if you move from 2H to 4H too slowly, you will get a grinding noise.

Old 01-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Kingfish is right on. You can engage the 4x4 at speeds up to 55mph.

Old 01-15-2004, 08:50 AM
here we go again..............

some of you say yes and some say no??? Whats the deal. I need to know this for sure, if there is a Ford transmission guy out there that knows for a fact that a 97 f-150 with the 4x4 shift on the floor is truly a "shift on the fly" transfercase??

I guess I need to see some evidence like a scan of a manual or something like that. Is there a website where I can read up on this topic that Ford offers?

Thanx, D

Trending Topics

Old 01-15-2004, 08:56 AM
Yes, you can shift on the fly so long as you let off the throttle while doing it.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:11 AM
Here is the text right out of my owners manual. This is for an 04, but it has been the same as long as I can remember.
Also, if you go out to www.fordvehicles.com and go to myford, you can log in put in your vin number. Once there you may be able to download an owners manual in PDF format. Otherwise try the dealer or maybe a junkyard that has a wrecked 97.

Her is the text.
Shifting between 2H (2WD high) and 4H (4WD high)
• Move the transfer case lever between 2H (2WD High) and 4H (4WD
High) at a stop or any forward speed up to 55 mph (88 km/h).
Note: Do not perform this operation at speeds above 45 mph (72 km/h)
if the outside temperature is below 32°F (0°C).
Note: Do not perform this operation if the rear wheels are slipping.
Note: Some noise may be heard as the system shifts or engages; this is
normal.
Shifting to/from 4L (4WD Low)
1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
2. Depress the brake.
3. On vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission, place the
transmission in N (Neutral); on vehicles equipped with a manual
transmission, depress the clutch.
4. Move the transfer case lever through N (Neutral) directly to the
desired position.
• If the transfer case will not engage into 4L (4WD Low), drive the
vehicle above 5 mph (8 km/h), then repeat steps 1 through 4.
Note: Some noise may be heard as the system shifts or engages; this is
normal.
Note: For proper operation in 4WD Low, ensure the transfer case shift
lever is moved entirely rearward in to the 4L (4WD Low) position and
that the 4x4 Low light is illuminated.
Using the N (Neutral) position
The transfer case N (Neutral) position overrides the transmission
and puts the vehicle in neutral regardless of transmission
gearshift lever position. The vehicle can move forward or
backward.
This position should only be used when towing the vehicle.
Do not leave the vehicle unattended with the transfer case in the
N (Neutral) position. Always set the parking brake fully and turn
off the ignition when leaving the vehicle.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Here's the section from the 97 shop manual that describes MSOF and ESOF

Section 308-07A: Transfer Case — General Information 1997 F-150, F-250 Workshop Manual

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Transfer Case — Mechanical Shift on the Fly (MSOF)Operation
The mechanical shift on the fly (MSOF) system is a manual shift 4WD system that allows the operator to choose between two different 4x4 modes as well as 2-wheel drive. The operator can switch between 2WD and 4WD HIGH mode at speeds up to 88 km/h (55 mph). To engage or disengage 4WD LOW range, the vehicle speed must be less than 5 km/h (3 mph), the brake pedal depressed, and the transmission must be in NEUTRAL.

Shifts between 2WD HIGH and 4WD HIGH can be made at a stop or any forward speed up to 88 km/h (55 mph). At temperatures below 0°C (32°F) shifts should not be performed above 72 km/h (45 mph).

The transfer case is equipped with an electromagnetic clutch which is located inside the case. This clutch is used to spin up the front driveline when shifting from 2WD to 4WD mode at speed. When the manual shift lever is moved this activates the 4WD indicator switch, 4WD electric clutch relay, and the electromagnetic clutch. When the transfer case front and rear output shafts are synchronized, the spring loaded lockup collar mechanically engages the mainshaft hub to the drive sprocket. Finally, the front axle collar is engaged and the electromagnetic clutch is deactivated.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 308-07A: Transfer Case — General Information 1997 F-150, F-250 Workshop Manual

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION

Electronic Shift On the Fly (ESOF) Operation
The ESOF system is an electronic shift 4x4 system that allows the operator to choose between two different 4x4 modes as well as 2-wheel drive. The operator can switch between 2WD and 4WD HIGH mode at speed. To engage or disengage LOW Range, the vehicle speed must be less than 5 kph, the brake depressed, and the transmission must be in NEUTRAL.

The transfer case is equipped with an electromagnetic clutch which is located inside the case. This clutch is used to spin up the front driveline when shifting from 2WD to 4x4 High mode at speed. When the control switch on the instrument panel is turned, the generic electronic module (GEM) recognizes that a shift has been requested and activates the electromagnetic clutch and the relays which power the transfer case shift motor. When the shift motor reaches the desired position as determined by the contact plate position inputs to the GEM, power to the shift relays and motors will be removed. When the transfer case front and rear output shafts are synchronized, the spring loaded lockup collar mechanically engages the mainshaft hub to the drive sprocket. Finally, the front axle collar is engaged and the electromagnetic clutch is deactivated.

Hope this helps

Old 01-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto. Yes, you can shift on the fly (or at least you're supposed to be able to). If you can't for whatever reason, there's something wrong. Could be the relay that engages the synchronizer. I've started hearing a lot about that particular problem, but nothing that fixes it (yet).

-Joe

Old 01-16-2004, 02:23 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Joe,

I just read this and I went out to do some testing. I scanned the electromagnetic clutch output PID and it went to on immediately but even at rest once 4Hi was engaged to took a few seconds to register off. This correspond with the relay clicking. With the engine running at idle it took about 4 seconds from the 1st click to the 2nd. At 2000 rpm it took 5 seconds. So the electromagnetic clutch is engaging as soon as the lever is shifted. This was verified by the click of the relay as well as the PID output. I would suspect that the front axle collar is slow because of the cold. I just returned from a road test. Liquid Wrench penetrating oil on the front linkage cured the slow engagement problem. Before I road tested I lubed it and cycled it about 20 times. After about 10 times I could hear the front axle engage.

Regards

JMC

Old 01-16-2004, 02:44 PM
I have been told by mechanics that you can shift to 4x4 all the way up to 55 mph, but if you do not have to, it is best to do it at a dead stop. Sounds like good advise to me.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:16 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Smithy,

There is no reason to not use the full capabalities of the vehicle. I do and even exceed them some times. Ask Joe.

JMC

Old 01-18-2004, 09:14 PM
I just find that if I can lessen the risk of a problem that I will a well operating vehicle for a while longer.

Quick Reply: "Shift on the fly"........or not??