1995 e4od into 90 f150?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1995 e4od into 90 f150?

My tranny just quit in my truck (302/e4od/4x4) and I'm not willing to spend 15-1800 on a tranny. I found a low mileage e4od out of a 1995 f150 with the same drivetrain as my truck, and was wondering if anybody knows what's required to get the newer transmission to work in an older truck?

Old 12-30-2003, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure it'll go just fine, the 95 even has a few upgrades. The 89s are one off models and the next compaitbilty issue isn't until the 93, when the solenoid connector changed, but you should be able to swap the solenoid (get a new one for about $150 from your dealer, don't try to save the old one, they get dirty and can't be cleaned) and make it work. Get the solenoid for the year your truck is, not the year of the donor, and it should work. In 95 they went to the ball bearing center support which is a big upgrade. Make sure the donor is not 6 cylinder, they have weaker internals, but other than that I can't think of any issues with the swap. Oops, I remembered another one... You may have to swap the MLPS (Manual Lever Position Switch) from your old one, and maybe the manual lever too, not sure if a newer one will work with the older one, I think the Manual lever will, but the MLPS won't, but if so, they will change from your old unit fine. The manual lever has a roll pin holding it in under the pan gasket, and a nut on the back of the shaft, the MLPS is just 2 bolts on the case, remove and re-install it while in Neutral, there is an index mark on the switch that indicates when it is in neutral you want ot line up when you know the manual lever is in neutral also, it's easier than it sounds.

G

Last edited by Factory_Tech; 12-30-2003 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Will I be able to replace the solenoid pack without opening up the transmission, or is it a major job? If it's not a major problem, I'll probably go buy the tranny on Friday. Thank you for your assistance.

Old 02-19-2004, 02:07 PM
How do you get that stupid roll pin out. It doesn't look like it can be pushed out and theres nothing to get ahold of to pull it out. Once I get the linkage swaped over the tranny can go back in, but I'm stuck on the roll pin. Any ideas?

Old 02-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to a god auto parts store and get a roll pin puller, looks kinda like a tap wrench with a threaded pin (replaceable tip) on the end. Another way to get it out is to very carefully drill it, and just get a new roll pin from a hardware store.

G

Quick Reply: 1995 e4od into 90 f150?