O/D button stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O/D button stopped working

Does anyone know what would make the O/D button just stop working?

Old 12-08-2003, 06:39 PM
The wires inside the shift lever, leading up to the switch, tend to break.

The first step when working on anything electrical is to disconnect the negative battery cable so you don't blow a fuse or kill yourself.

Pop off the O/D switch at the end of the switch lever and disconnect the 3 wires (keeping track of where each is connected).

Next you need to remove the gear shift lever: Put the truck in 1st or 2nd gear and you'll find a pin at the base of the shift lever that holds it to the steering column. It may be covered with a leather boot that has to be cut or pulled back to gain access.

When you remove the shift lever, it will expose the 3 wires leading up to the O/D switch. There are good odds that you'll find a hole worn through the plastic sleeve and at least one of the wires.

Have fun

Old 12-09-2003, 02:23 AM
you forgot to tell him to take off the steering column shroud

1. turn key to run posistion with engine off.
2. find the hole on the bottom right of shroud that doesnt line up with the other 2 insert a small phillips screw driver or some type of pick and pull out ignition cyl.
3. remove the 3 screws holding the shroud on then carefully lift the top of the shrough off and around and over the shifter handle takes a little wiggling.

then you will be able to she base of shifter handle and where the wires ussually brake.

make sure you block the wheels or set parking brake because you will have to move shifter out of park and truck might roll

Old 12-09-2003, 05:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... My O/D button wires have broken about 3 times on my truck. The wires are so fine that it's basically impossible to re-splice back together. I managed the 1ST time but they broke again in another spot. The FORD DEALER (CAN) wanted over $100 for the lever assembly. The entire lever and button assembly are NON servicable and can only be purchased as a unit. I thought the price was crazy, so I went to RADIO SHACK and bought a $2.00(CAN) momentary lighted switch and a ohm resistor. I mounted the switch in the radio surround where the 4X4 switch usually goes. No problems in over a year. What the problem is with the factory harness, besides being to thin a guage wire is that with the movement of the gear selector back and forth, is that puts a lot of strain on the wires and they eventually break.

Quick Reply: O/D button stopped working