Volvo 740GLE Automatic not upshifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Volvo 740GLE Automatic not upshifting

I have a 1990 Volvo 740 GLE Automatic which does not shift from 3rd to 4th gear when the engine is warm. From a cold start, the car shifts between 45-50 mph. From a warm start, this upshirt doesn't happen (typically after a 20 minute drive to daycare, I turn off the engine. I restart after 10-20 minutes and the 3->4 upshift does not happen). My mechanic replaced the relay which didn't help. He then put on a new solenoid which didn't help (so he took it back off). His suggestion at this point is a new transmission. Any other ideas? I'm not 100% sure of this, but this problem may have started after I had the transmission fluid changed about 3 months ago. I have every reason to believe that my mechanic is trustworthy, reliable and very good.

Old 11-24-2003, 02:46 PM
The 740 is pre-Ford and even though it is built very well, it is not a truck. The only help I can give is to direct you to the following:

http://au.geocities.com/ozbrick850/

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/

Sorry, I just felt like a smart a$$.

Old 11-24-2003, 09:37 PM
I also have a '98 S70 GLT and the first thing I do when there is an issue (haven't been any but...) is take it to my Volvo dealer!

To be frank, you'll likely not get a lot of good info from here. There's a lot of good knowledge, but not for Volvo's.

Oh, and I'm trying really hard not to mention the "From a warm start, this upshirt doesn't happen..." comment (sorry, I had too )

Old 11-24-2003, 09:51 PM
sounds like it needs a trannny rebuild it had been to long between changes of the fluid....... in the late 80's and early 90's ford had the same problem tranny would go out at about 80 k because people would not change the fluid every 12k like you should

Quick Reply: Volvo 740GLE Automatic not upshifting