m5r2 problem..kicks out of 5th....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question m5r2 problem..kicks out of 5th....

I've a 92 f150 with m5r2 trannsmission. About 3 months ago it started to kick out of 5th gear while driving and especially under moderate or hard acceleration. I usually have my hand resting on the shifter so I assumed I slowly wore off a edge of an internal component by having this light but constant pressure on the lever over the past years. I needed a new clutch so I have the beast out on the workshop table. In looking at the internal 5th/reverse shifting linkage, I noticed that the arm is adjustable from the outside of the case on an eccentric nut/bolt combination. By turning clockwise this places the shifting linkage arm farther to the rear of the case and thus, I'm assuming, realizes more forward motion on the synchro placement fork. In turn, this places the shifting lever farther forward in the cab, which would tend to make one believe all is well in the Ford world. Will this simple task help with the pop-out problem?!?!? Can anyone shed any light on this problem?!?!? Know of any links that may help?!?!? Thanks in advance for the post and any help!!

Last edited by whitegold; 11-20-2003 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:38 PM
Ur saying that it comes out of 5th when accelerating??? If u r accelerating, it should be very hard for n e gear to come out. Ive tried to pull it out of gear while giving it gas, not easy. I dont think that it is making it all way thru the gate and coming to rest in the gear correctly, so, u may ur idea. It sounds like it should at least help, by pulling the shifter up. Hopefully this may help.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:46 AM
Did you get a good answer? I am having the same problem with my 2000 f150

Originally Posted by whitegold
I've a 92 f150 with m5r2 trannsmission. About 3 months ago it started to kick out of 5th gear while driving and especially under moderate or hard acceleration. I usually have my hand resting on the shifter so I assumed I slowly wore off a edge of an internal component by having this light but constant pressure on the lever over the past years. I needed a new clutch so I have the beast out on the workshop table. In looking at the internal 5th/reverse shifting linkage, I noticed that the arm is adjustable from the outside of the case on an eccentric nut/bolt combination. By turning clockwise this places the shifting linkage arm farther to the rear of the case and thus, I'm assuming, realizes more forward motion on the synchro placement fork. In turn, this places the shifting lever farther forward in the cab, which would tend to make one believe all is well in the Ford world. Will this simple task help with the pop-out problem?!?!? Can anyone shed any light on this problem?!?!? Know of any links that may help?!?!? Thanks in advance for the post and any help!!
I have replaced all of the 5th gear parts and I am still having the same problem.

Quick Reply: m5r2 problem..kicks out of 5th....