trans fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans fluid change

my trans fluid says to use mercron V went to a lube place , they would do the flush and said if i wanted the mercron v it would cost 150.00 but they would flush it and change it and add a additive to make it mercron v? is this right or not? need advice thanks

Old 03-20-2003, 08:23 PM
how can you add an additive to make a synthetic fluid?..take it somewhere else,before your sorry

Old 03-20-2003, 08:42 PM
thanks

I will it just doesnt seem right, I did look at the products website, its for vehicles requirng mercon III and other trans fluids, to make the fluid run cooler and act LIKE a mercon V but not for a mercon V vehicle thanks, seemed weird to me, lI called another place, they will do a flush, and a gasket and filter change with V for under 120.00 seems ok,

Old 03-20-2003, 11:59 PM
My son works at one of those lube places. He had told me that they add an additive to make the fluid Mercon V. I was a little bit in doubt about the proceedure. They use Penzoil. He said they charge $65.00 I think. Anyway, I told him thanks but no thanks, I'd change it myself.

Old 03-21-2003, 08:18 PM
might as well get some Red Line D4 ATF for that kinda money!

Old 03-25-2003, 10:23 PM
Mercon V

I changed my fluid from Mercon III to Mercon V, before hand I asked the mechanic at Ford. All you need to do is drop the pan and drain the torque converter. If you don't flush the line, you will leave approximately 1 quart of the old fluid which is not a big deal. Refilled it with 12 quarts of Synthetic Penzoil Mercon V and changed the filter as well. I think the price was like 45.00 total.

This solved the problem of delay in shifting into gear when the engine was first cold.

Old 03-26-2003, 02:57 PM
Beware of having the tranny "flushed". I have 40k miles on my truck and only about 8k miles after having the tranny flushed. It is now in the shop having the pump seal replaced due to a pretty good leak. Before having the flush done, I called a couple of tranny shops about doing the flush. They would not do it and/because warned me that it would cause the tranny to leak at the seal. Several Ford dealerships recommended it and said that it would not cause any problems. I took Fords word for it, because I thought they would know what was best for a Ford truck. I don't know for certain that the flush actually caused the pump seal to leak, but I wish I had taken the advise of the tranny shops I spoke to.

It may not have caused the leak in the pump seal, but I would caution against having the flush done in either case. I don't think I will chance having the tranny flushed again. I will just do the old fashioned drain, filter replace, and refill.

Ford covered 80% of the pump seal replacement outside the warranty. I won't chance having to pay 100% of an almost $600 repair again.

My .02 worth.

homebrau

Old 03-26-2003, 11:24 PM
homebrau..it was probably the fact that they put the III in with the 'additive' to make it V that caused your seal to fail..always make sure by "sight" what theyre putting back in

Old 03-27-2003, 04:19 PM
Check this Out

Talked to a transmission tech and he recommened I use Mobil one ATF and add this additive to the transmission fluid and it would be a better ATF than mercon V.

http://www.lubegard.com/automotive/trans_atf_mv.html

Eliminate the need to stock Mercon V® ATF!
LUBEGARD M-V Automatic Transmission Fluid Supplement is formulated utilizing the patented & OEM endorsed synthetic LUBEGARD LXE Technology and a new synthetic additive Synergol TMS to enhance Dexron/Mercon ATF to provide a Mercon V type ATF.

Click to view the $39,650 Mercon V® Cycling Test Results that Lubegard M-V ATF Supplement passed beyond the duration needed for approval!

Mercon V® was introduced by the Ford Motor Company in 1997 for use in 1997 and later A4LD-E (4R44E) and 5R55E transmissions. It is currently required for many new transmissions in some Fords, Lincolns, Mazda's, Mercurys and other makes.

LUBEGARD M-V Automatic Transmission Fluid Supplement benefits:
Enhances Dexron/Mercon ATF to perform like a Mercon V type fluid.
For use in all automatic transmissions requiring a Mercon V type ATF.
Prevents & Eliminates Torque Converter Lock-Up Shudder.
Prevents overheating and fluid oxidation.
Saves Time, Money and Space by eliminating the need to stock Mercon V ATF.
Keeps valves free. Also frees stuck valves.
Dramatically reduces friction & wear on metal parts and internal components.
Improves low temperature shifting.
Stabilizes the life of the fluid, thus extending service intervals.
Softens harsh shifts.
Extends fluid & component life.
Will not harm yellow metals.
Will not alter the crucial phosphorus or sulfur balance in your transmission fluid.
Contains absolutely NO Zinc

Quick Reply: trans fluid change