Shifting in cold wheater

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shifting in cold wheater

Is it normal for a truck to have trouble shifting into overdrive in cold weater? I live in Minneapolis and my 97 f150 will not shift into overdrive untill I've been on the freeway for about 5 miles.

I usually let it warm up for 2 to 3 minutes in the Garage before I leave. Once I get up to speed on the freeway it will run at about 2500 RPM for about 5 miles then drop to around 1700.

I've checked the ATF and it's full, so is this normal or should i get it looked at.

Old 02-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you really think your not going into OD try locking out the OD with the button on the shift lever before you get on the highway. Once you get up to speed unlock the OD and take notice if it shifts.

I have a 97 and when it's real cold outside the torque converter wont lock up 'till I drive a few miles, but I'm sure that it shifted into overdrive though. My rpms are also higher until the trans fluids warms some. I drive normally until it gets to normal temps. I suspect you might be feeling the same thing.

Good luck.

Old 02-17-2003, 03:40 PM
- another point is (I remember reading this somewhere) the computer alters shift times until the tranny is at operating temp.

Mark or Neal can probably confirm this.

Old 02-17-2003, 05:38 PM
True - there is a fluid temp sensor that restricts the 3-OD shift and TC lockup until fluid reaches a certain temperature. My '97 has always done this when cold (like a morning start at anything less than about 15 degrees F, like everyday lately.).

No worries, its fine...

Old 02-18-2003, 09:34 AM
shelley

Thanks for the help. I tried what LE PEW suggested and that is exactly what is happening.

Quick Reply: Shifting in cold wheater