no manual trans in 2004?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 01:54 PM
SM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no manual trans in 2004?

I just took a look at the fordvehicles.com website which has preliminary information on the 2004 F150. I could not find any reference to a manual transmission even being available. Could this be true, or did I just overlook it. If true, it seems like Ford is turning its back on those of us (even though we may be in the minority) who still prefer rowing through the gears.

I guess the writing has been on the wall for several years, but I am still don't like the idea of no manual trannys.

SM

Old 01-15-2003, 06:19 PM
I'm with you on this one. I checked out their site and was very dissapointed that there was no mention of a manual transmission. The Lightning concept has a six speed, which sounds great but I'm guessing that it will be over 40k for the next gen. If the current Lightning owners get their way there will be an auto in that too.

It's too bad that the people who prefer a manual are in the minority. There is less drive line loss and better fuel mileage. I just plain don't like the way the autos shift. My '98 shifts sloppy as he!!, but I'm still in control.

I was really thinking that I would end up getting another F150 but if they don't have a manual I'm not so sure I want one. I would love to get the next gen Lightning with a six speed but there is a good chance that it won't be produced that way, and there is also a good chance that I would go broke trying to pay for the truck, the house and all the other things on my income.

I hope we hear different but if they only have an auto I guess I'll look for a car.

Ford, we know your listening but some of us aren't being heard! Oh well.

Old 01-16-2003, 08:23 AM
My guess is that they will be available later. When I got my 97 it was auto only with the 4.6. The 5.4 wasn't even available until later.

It'll take them a while to get to full production. They've got what 3 plants to switch over plust the Rouge is going to build the new F150 as well. Once they get to full production I think you'll see manuals as well as perhaps some mid year changes.

-jeff b.

Old 01-23-2003, 03:48 PM
I can't believe they'd be quite that stupid. It's bad enough you can't get the 5.4 with manual tranny, if they took away the 5-speed altogether, well I guess this is the last F-150 I'll ever own. I'll just have to drive it till it falls apart completely. I bet they'll at least have the 5-speed in the v-6 and small v-8 again though.

Old 01-24-2003, 06:34 PM
If they cant make the 5speed have a similiar tow rating to the auto they should drop it on the 4.6L. As much as I prefer driving with my 5speed 4.6L I just cant get over the fact that my truck can be out towed by a 6 cylinder auto.

Quick Reply: no manual trans in 2004?