Towing & Hauling

Few towing questions, few truck questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few towing questions, few truck questions

I'm moving from Anchorage, Alaska to Tacoma, Washington at the end of the month. I've decided to rent a 12'x6' double axle trailer from U-haul and tow all my stuff down. It has the surge hydraulic braking system which seems like a good idea. I have a '98 F-150 4x4 with the 5.4L, 4spd auto, and the Off-Road package. Now does the '98 off road package include the trans cooler and oil cooler setup? I'm pretty sure it does, but better safe then sorry. Also, should I turn off overdrive the whole time? or only when in hilly terrain? My only experiance in towing is my 20' riverboat, and for pretty short distances at that. Also, I'm going to take my truck into a service center and have it inspected. What are the major parts I should make sure get inspected, aside from the obvious like the tranny and brakes?

If you have any tips from a simular experiance, please share!

THanks,

Tom

Old 02-05-2002, 07:28 PM
You probably have the tranny cooler since you have the 5.4L engine. To verify, just look down through the hood latch mechanism hole. You should see a cooler on the driver's side (power steering) and one on the passenger side (tranny cooler). They're mounted towards the bottom of and in front of the a/c condenser.

Read the manual in regards to towing with OD on or off. It won't hurt to drive with OD off at all times, but on level roads, it may not be necessary and would probably cut into your gas mileage.

Old 02-05-2002, 08:03 PM
Bad Dreams, Are you going down the Alaska Highway or the Casiar (sp?). Be shure and stop by the Sign Forest, It is an amazing site. Any way, which ever road you go, have fun with the construction and slow down for simi's so they wont break out you windshield. Good luck, We made the drive , 15,000 miles one summer

Old 02-05-2002, 08:13 PM
Well, we will be using both the Alaska Highway and the Cassiar. Because we are going to washington, it would be out of our way to take the Alaska highway to it's end. So somewhere around Watson Lake I think we hop off the Alaska highway. Since it's winter I hope that construction will be at a minimum.

Old 02-05-2002, 08:33 PM
I forgot about Washington. Dont take the short cut to get to vancouver (sp?) go the longer way. The short way has some grades that are over 15% !!!!!! At watson lake, which is about a mile or so after the casiar turn off, is the signforest. There everyone has brought signs from all over the us on their way to alaska, a couple thousand of them. Anyway have fun and enjoy

P.S. since it is winter, you will be able to avoid the frost heaves, they can be really fun!!!!

Old 02-05-2002, 08:35 PM
oh yea, try and keep the fuel tank near full. A few times we ran really close to empty. (we had a tow vehicle that was full though if we needed to take some from it)

Old 02-07-2002, 10:01 PM
Try to get U-Haul to 'prove' to you that the brakes have been recently adjusted -- and the brake fluid is full -- and the control head is properly lubricated (it needs to slide smoothly).

When heading down-hill, use your second gear to maintain speed rather than your brakes -- and be aware that if you're providing deceleration by way of 2nd gear, the trailer brakes might be dragging (properly working) due to the tongue-push of the trailer -- so be alert to brake fade.

Properly working surge brakes feel quite good -- and/but can be a bit surprising when they initially apply. You should be able to feel that they are working -- else, get them fixed by U-Haul before you start your trek.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Few towing questions, few truck questions