Towing & Hauling

5th wheel hitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 03:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 5th wheel hitch

Do you only get a 5th wheel if you get the towing package?

If i got the Off Road package on a '02 F-250SD, would that come with a 5th wheel?

Old 12-02-2001, 08:50 AM
Dan,
Your '02 F250 should only come from the factory with a Class V hitch under your bumper. I think it's rated at 1,200 lbs on the tongue weight and rated to pull 12,000 lbs. My '01 Class IV hitch is rated at 1k lbs and 10k lbs. I'm pretty sure all the Superduties come with the tow package with the hitch itself being an option (sticker price was $150). Ford does not offer a Fifth Wheel factory hitch, you'll have to go aftermarket for that.
Good Luck,
Ron

Old 12-02-2001, 03:40 PM
Hi DanB

Good luck on your new ride...

Just passing along another tip that may/maynot apply....

Not to long ago i was reading about problems people were haveing with the F250 and a 5th wheel hithed trailer...posted in the TL mag.

As i recall... the rear end of truck sat to high.. This required suspension mods....

Also there maybe a problem with front corners of TT hitting truck cab on tight turns...

Yeah i know, but have read this several times the past year or two...however dont know if the 02 rear end is lower etc....and if theres still a tight turning radius/TT hitting problem?

Think RonMcq maybe right...ive never seen a 5er hitch offered by Ford.

Good luck....OT

Old 12-02-2001, 11:19 PM
opinion

I too have never seen a 5th wheel on a f250 from the factory. I've been around when several have come off the semitruck and 've never seen one. I've seen and helped put several in f250's. We have had a few problems with the bed height but nothing serious. We just had to readjust the neck length on all of our trailers. It just took two bolts per trailer. I've never had a problem with a trailer hitting a cab. It happens if you dont watch what your doing. you can hit the cab on any truck with a 5th wheel.

Quick Reply: 5th wheel hitch