Towing & Hauling

overweight?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overweight?

Here is the camper I use every year for hunting. I need to go weight the truck/camper and see if Im seriously overweight. Does anyone else use their F150 to carry a overhead camper?

Old 12-01-2001, 02:48 PM
Hi Darn..

Maybe...Badd Andy...will see your post. Hes got pics. on his sig..he has overhead camper on his F150...w/suspension mods.

Yeah, i know, you got it on truck...althought it looks like it lowered your truck? Yes.. weight truck (full) then put camper on (full) and weight it..you might be surprised how much that camper weights.

Anyhow, if your not careful, you may have a dangerous situation for yourself and other motorists, plus big time ware on your trucks suspension.....Everybody drives differently...

Havent looked lately, but last i noticed the F150 was not rated for slidein overhead camper..The HD 7700# maybe? Dont really know.

Be safe not sorry..Been there, done that....

Good luck....OT

Old 12-01-2001, 03:02 PM
My dad bought this thing new in 75, been on half ton trucks its whole life. He swears its about 1200 lbs as it doesnt have 3 way fridge, heat or a/c or even a toilet. Its a basic model. Only sus. mod is a hellwig rear sway bar. when loaded the front dropped 1 inch and the rear dropped 2 1/2. I dont fill the water tank until Im a few miles from camp. I use this thing once a year for a week on a 300 mile round trip. It pulls just fine and hasnt seemed to be too much for the truck. At one time it was on a 74 chevy truck with 3 on the tree and 350/2bbl and a GVW rating of 5300 lbs. Im sure that truck was overloaded. I was then on a 79 f150 with a 302 and later on a 88 half ton chevy.

How exactly do they determine if the truck can carry a camper or not. On the superduties it appears they certify it if you cough up $150 for the camper package which is a rear stab bar and heavier springs. (most likely an addional leaf)

Old 12-01-2001, 05:06 PM
Hi Darn

I see you did think about what you were hauling. Thats good!
Maybe weight wise you are ok....Basic unit etc....Handling?

Hopefully someone here can give you up to date info....

Used to be from factory..ford camper certified..
front..rear sway bars..
HD shocks
HD springs..(overloads?)
Oil coolers (engine/tranny)
Radiator
Alt./battery

May have missed something?

Anyhow, when its factory "certified" i believe that means more than just the right suspension parts etc...but also a legal issue..

IMO...even if you "DIY" & add all the necessary parts...you still want be factory certified...but you'll know your truck can safely carry max. (GVWR.) loads. You have to make that decision.

Anyhow, good question you brought up...Hey, go weight everything, no more guessing. Thats cheaper than mods.

Good luck....OT

Old 12-01-2001, 05:29 PM
JD
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada (originally from Kearny, New Jersey)
In my....

1998 F150 their was some paperwork that said do not use the truck for slide in campers...

Old 12-02-2001, 09:57 AM
As of 2000, the only Supercabs rated to haul a slide-in camper are the 97-2001 250 LD's and the 7700. All long bed regular cab 4x2 V-6 thru V-8's and the short bed regular cab V-6's with the 3.55 rearend too.
Your camper looks like it weighs over 1500 lbs as it sits. My truck with an almost 2000 lb loaded camper sits kinda like yours while I have heavier duty springs! Plus, your camper is made for a long bed and I know that your CG is out of limits with that thing on the truck because of it. You will need to weigh the front of the camper, then the rear seperately off the truck to find the CG.
My truck is rated to carry 2,312lbs. stripped. Mine is an XLT which lowered it 200 lbs. Without the bikes, rack, and water, but with it loaded for camping, 2 Adults and 2 kids, I'm right at 7,700 lbs. Remember, the 250LD and 7700 have a 3/4 type frame and true 3/4 suspension and axles. My airbags are for the weight of the Bikes and rack. As they stick out way back there, they make the rear sag some.

Last edited by Badd Andy; 12-02-2001 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-02-2001, 11:14 PM
Regarding the CG, how much different can it be since most of the campers for short bed are nothing but a 8 1/2 foot camper with the rear wider where there is no bed? with the much smaller overhead and many less options then you have I doubt the CG is even at the height yours is.

Old 12-04-2001, 06:46 AM
The springs on the Superduty camper pkg are not heavy duty but rather overloads. (single spring that rests on perches when loaded)

Old 12-04-2001, 03:32 PM
The CG I'm talking about is fore/aft. For a regular camper the CG is located around the center of the floor length about where the rear axle is. On a camper for a shortbed it's alot more forward, almost to the front wall, because short beds have a shorter bed and wheelbase. If your camper doesn't say it's specifically for a shortbed, your out of limits in CG and weight distribution. Your illegal and breaking manufactor specs. Go to a dealership, open a glovebox of a new 7700 model, and read the Consumer info camper loading sheet. Only trucks rated by Ford to carry a camper have this sheet. It will teach you everything you need to know. 7700 models are the only one to be rated for a camper no matter what. Every other F-150, 250, 350 require futher options.

Old 12-04-2001, 07:37 PM
I stopped by the dealership and after talking to 3 different people they finally found someone that could answer my questions. Im looking at replacing my truck in about 6 months and I want 4x4 and maybe something a bit heavier duty. I spoke with the guy about a camper and the 7700 package. I was told this isnt really a 3/4 ton but more of a "Heavy half" or a 5/8 ton. As far as axles they are not even 8 lug like a 3/4 ton which I have never heard of 7 lug rims. Guess they used that to put it somewhere between a 8 lug 3/4 ton and a 5 lug half ton. I asked about a camper and he said really I need a superduty as anything based off the F150 really leaves me limited on the weight of a camper. They didnt have any 7700's on the lot so I could look at this camper sticker. He wasnt sure on a camper package on the 7700 but said on Superduty you do get a rear stabilizer bar to help with the top heaviness of a cabover. He said only Lightnings get a rear sway bar on the rear. He advised that it would be best to get a F350 as they only cost aobut $500 more and the single rear will wheel gives you a gvw of 9900 lbs shich depending on your config would leave lots of extra payload for most campers. After prcing a few F150 SC 4x4's the prcing of a superduty looked pretty good. Best thing is I wouldnt be limited to a Supercab. I could get a Supercabe and a long bed or shortbed (not 5 1/2ft). But this does open up all new decisions, such as Diesel or V10, SC or crew cab, Long or Short Bed. I hate all these decisions.

Old 12-05-2001, 06:34 PM
You need to get Ford's camper and trailer ratings guide. Apparently that dealer don't knw s#$%. F-150's weight about 4,600 - 5200lbs., F-250's 7,000-7400lbs, and the F-350 a few hundred more, with say the XLT option ready to roll. Now with the GVWR of the 150 7700 at 7,700, 250 at 8,800 and the 350 at 9900 with camper packages, it still doesn't leave you with much camper weight. No one can figure why the 7700 has the 7 lug wheels, but that axle is a full 3/4 rated at 5,800 lbs. It just doesn't have the full floating shafts. BTW, my 7700 sticker costs $12,000 less than my friend's equal F-350. There is a BIG difference in cost, weight and size between an F-150-250-350. If you go to IRV.com, you'll find most truck/camper combos are overweight, and were talking mostly 3/4 and 1 tons, besides every 1/2 ton! Most people put a camper in a truck, then do the math and find out they're overweight, like I did on my 93 F-150, and you now. If you are going to replace them, your headed in the right direction. And remember this, I didn't say talk to someone for the info, get the literature to read for youself. They want your money, and will sell you anything! The camper dealers are the worst of the lot!

Old 12-09-2001, 02:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I was out west this past summer I seen about 4 late modle F150's with campers on the back and one that had the hook ups for one they must have been left there camper at there camp site.

Quick Reply: overweight?