Towing & Hauling

Tekonsha P3 Brake Control

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tekonsha P3 Brake Control

When I left the yard pulling our 30 ft travel trailer with my 2008 F150XLT last Monday, I immediately noticed the trailer was pushing the truck when slowing for the first stop sign. Looked down, and saw my 13 year old Tenkonsha P3 was dark. Flipped the manual lever to see if it was just the display, nope-- no trailer brakes at all. Had a busy day, so got my voltmeter out Tuesday morning and verified 12 volts at harness plug to unit. Intending to purchase a new unit so I could use the same harness and mount, I then called the Tekonsha Technical Advice number to verify the current version of control is identical to my old one just to be sure. A fellow named Danny answered. I described the problem and asked (in a kidding manner) if it was still under warranty. Danny asked me if I had proof of purchase and I said yes. Danny said it was still under warranty then. He sent me an email with instructions to reply with the information required to process warranty replacement. Had a confirmation the replacement had been ordered Wednesday morning. FedEx van delivered the replacement unit Friday afternoon.
Obviously, no one wants to have to mess with replacing broken stuff, but it happens. I'm delighted with the response I got from Tekonsha and have to say I recommend this brake control due to the product support. Just remember to save that receipt!

Old 06-12-2021, 04:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Thanks for posting this, rusty! I used a P3 brake controller in my old 2005 F150 when I had it and I think it's the best kind of 3rd party brake controller you can buy. Your post just provides one more reason to buy it if you need one.

- Jack

Old 06-12-2021, 06:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I love my Tekonsha P3!

Quick Reply: Tekonsha P3 Brake Control